After thumping his chest like the crazed primate that he is over the protests and the “attacks” on the police….LAW AND ORDER…was his Tweets on multiple days……but now trying to gain the upper hand especially when an election is a mere few months away he, Trump, has signed a Executive Order on police reform…..
President Trump signed an executive order Tuesday designed to improve police training in the wake of the George Floyd killing. “Reducing crime and raising standards are not opposite goals,” said Trump. His order falls short of what activists have been demanding, reports the Washington Post, though more sweeping reform measures are working their way through the House and Senate. Some highlights of Trump’s order, via the AP and USA Today:
- Database: It would set up a national database to more easily track abusive officers and ideally prevent them from being hired elsewhere.
- Training: It would encourage police departments to emphasize de-escalation training for conflicts, using federal grant money as leverage.
- More help: It would set up a “co-respondent” program encouraging police departments to work more closely with social workers on calls involving issues such as mental health, drug addiction, and homelessness.
- Chokeholds: Trump said chokeholds would be banned “except if an officer’s life is at risk,” though senior administration officials clarified that the order prohibits chokeholds ””except in those situations where deadly force is allowed by law.” The holds already are widely banned in police departments, per the AP.
Some of these points are good points…..but if they are not adopted by all PDs then these are just farts in the wind….which is what most police reforms in the past have been.
Training if done properly then it will help….again only if all PDs choose to become part of the solution if not then little will change.
My favorite part of his 27 minute diatribe was his statement on law and order and the people….
President Donald Trump on Tuesday delivered a rambling and authoritarian speech in which he defended U.S. police, attacked racial justice demonstrators, and proclaimed that Americans “want law and order” whether they know it or not.
“They demand law and order,” Trump said of the U.S. public. “They may not say it, they may not be talking about it, but that’s what they want. Some of them don’t even know that’s what they want, but that’s what they want.”
Really….a person who has no idea what the people are all about knows what is best….if that is not a fascist point of view then maybe you need to look up the definition. He knows what his ‘slaves’ want.
Looks like Donald the Orange got the jump on the GOP who promised a package on police reform soon…..
Republicans, who have long touted themselves the party of law and order, appeared initially resistant to pursuing policing reforms in the immediate wake of George Floyd’s death and the protests that followed. But amid the growing chorus for police accountability, GOP lawmakers on Capitol Hill are readying their own reforms.
Republicans in both the Senate and the House are starting to lay down some initial markers of reforms days after Democrats introduced broad legislation focused on police accountability. But it remains to be seen how much common ground will exist in the proposals and whether Democrats negotiate with the GOP on what many expect would be more incremental changes to policing.
Just 8 days ago Congressional Dems offered up a bill on police reform….
Changing rules on “qualified immunity,” which can make it almost impossible to sue police for misconduct.
• Banning chokeholds and other practices that can lead to physical harm or death.
• Ending “no-knock” warrants in drug cases.
• Requiring police departments to report data on use of force and creating a national database to track police misconduct.
• Creating a national standard saying force should be used by officers only when “necessary to prevent death or serious bodily injury.”
• Limit the transfer of military equipment to local police departments.
I think the Dems bill would do more to cease some of the abuses of the police….but there are some parts of it that I do not think will help
All in all…I do not see any of the incidents going down….damn I hope I am wrong but I think these ‘reforms’ are just band-aids for gun shot wounds (no pun intended) of police violence and abuse.
I Read, I Write, You Know
“lego ergo scribo”