Recently the House voted on HR1…..
It isn’t your usual bill, the For The People Act introduced Friday by House Democrats. Also known as HR 1, symbolically their first legislation, it is a 571-page compendium of existing problems and proposed solutions in four political hot zones: voting, political money, redistricting and ethics.
A pledge to pass the bill was a common theme among Democratic House candidates last year.
Short Titles as Introduced
For the People Act of 2019
Short Titles as Introduced for portions of this bill
- Access to Congressionally Mandated Reports Act
- Automatic Voter Registration Act of 2019
- CLEAR Act
- Conflicts from Political Fundraising Act of 2019
- Connecting Lobbyists and Electeds for Accountability and Reform Act
- DISCLOSE Act of 2019
- Deceptive Practices and Voter Intimidation Prevention Act of 2019
- Democracy Is Strengthened by Casting Light On Spending in Elections Act of 2019
- Democracy Restoration Act of 2019
- Election Security Act
- Empower Act of 2019
- Ethics in Public Service Act
- Executive Branch Comprehensive Ethics Enforcement Act of 2019
- Executive Branch Conflict of Interest Act
- Government By the People Act of 2019
- Help America Run Act
- Honest Ads Act
- Presidential Conflicts of Interest Act of 2019
- Presidential Inaugural Committee Oversight Act
- Prevent Election Hacking Act of 2019
- Redistricting Reform Act of 2019
- Restoring Integrity to America’s Elections Act
- Save Voters Act
- Stand By Every Ad Act
- Stop Automatically Voiding Eligible Voters Off Their Enlisted Rolls in States Act
- Stop Super PAC-Candidate Coordination Act
- Transition Team Ethics Improvement Act
- Voter Confidence and Increased Accessibility Act of 2019
- Voter Empowerment Act of 2019
- Voter Registration Modernization Act of 2019
- White House Ethics Transparency Act of 2019
The vote has been taken…..and by their voting on the issue seems that the GOP is with Trump and anti-democratic……
Not a single House Republican voted for sweeping Democratic legislation that would strengthen voting rights and reduce the influence of corporate money on the political process.
The “For the People Act” (H.R. 1) passed on Friday by 234-193 party-line vote. All 193 no votes were by Republicans. Four Republicans did not vote.
“Protecting our democracy shouldn’t be a partisan issue, but the Republican Party has decided it is unwilling to even consider reform despite virtually all Americans agreeing that our system is broken,” Morris Pearl, chair of the Patriotic Millionaires, said in a statement.
“Today’s vote on H.R. 1 is a monumental step forward for our country that will hopefully lead to the people retaking control of our government from special interests, lobbyists, and billionaire donors,” Pearl added. “It’s also a shameful reminder that Republicans are pursuing political power for the few over the fundamental values that this country was founded on.”