This election, the 2016 election, has brought up many questions….one being…… are the two parties really representing the people of this nation?
And what about all those “independents”? This is a con job…there are very few independents most can accurately be called centrist….but independent is a lie! (More to come before the election on this faux issue)
With all the battles going on within the two parties could it be time for a new party to arise from the ashes of 2016? Especially with the Democratic Party….there is deep division within the ranks….
Despite a decisive victory Tuesday providing further confirmation of her likely nomination, in many respects Hillary Clinton emerges from the New York primary more damaged, her party more divided, than she entered it. What came to be called The Battle of New York has served only to further expose what millions of people in the […]
With this premise I agree….as a matter of fact I have been saying this since 2010 when the Dems imploded and allowed the GOP to gain control where they should not have control….
I was thinking that in 1912 TR established the Bull Moose Party and the platform is one that could be useful today……
Teddy Roosevelt and the Progressive Party in 1912 gave Americans “A New Nationalism” and their platform was as follows….
In the social sphere the platform called for
- A National Health Service to include all existing government medical agencies.
- Social insurance, to provide for the elderly, the unemployed, and the disabled.
- Limited injunctions in strikes.
- Farm relief.
- Worker’s compensation for work-related injuries.
- An inheritance tax.
- A Constitutional amendment to allow a Federal income tax.
The political reforms proposed included
- Women’s suffrage.
- Direct election of Senators.
- Primary elections for state and federal nominations.
The platform also urged states to adopt measures for “direct democracy”, including:
- The recall election (citizens may remove an elected official before the end of his term).
- The referendum (citizens may decide on a law by popular vote).
- The initiative (citizens may propose a law by petition and enact it by popular vote).
- Judicial recall (when a court declares a law unconstitutional, the citizens may override that ruling by popular vote).
Some parts we have settled….others are still not used or employed….we could do better…..
However, the main theme of the platform was an attack on the domination of politics by business interests, which allegedly controlled both established parties. The platform asserted that
- To destroy this invisible Government, to dissolve the unholy alliance between corrupt business and corrupt politics is the first task of the statesmanship of the day.
To that end, the platform called for
- Strict limits and disclosure requirements on political campaign contributions.
- Registration of lobbyists.
- Recording and publication of Congressional committee proceedings.
Teddy was shrewd….he was ahead of his time…….sadly we have few that are that shrewd these days…..we have cowards and reformers that best propose reactionary crap as policy.
I even proposed a new Bull Moose Party here on IST back in 2010…….
The 2010 mid term elections have shown that the American people are ready for some change in the way that governing is done by our representatives…unfortunately we have little choice on who d…
I still believe that the US is primed for a new party….a Bull Moose Party…..a party that is truly of the people and not of Wall Street….Sander supporters must become a Tea Party of the Left. Bernie, run 3rd-Party….and A Bull Moose Party would be a good place to start this thing.
The political revolution has begun….do you have the ‘nads to continue to the end?
Can you hear me NOW!?