Closing Thought–06May19

Remember back during the 2016 election when the conspiracy floating around with those mental midgets that Obama would not leave office and that he wanted more time and would find a way to extend his presidency?

I know that was a life time ago but does anyone remember?

I ask because of something I read today…..

Article Two of the United States Constitution states that the president “shall hold his office during the term of four years”—but President Trump is apparently interested in making an exception. On Sunday, the president retweeted Jerry Falwell Jr.’s call for “reparations” for the Russia investigation to be made to the president, in the form of a term extension. “Trump should have 2 yrs added to his 1st term as pay back for time stolen by this corrupt failed coup,” the Liberty University president tweeted. The Trump retweet came after House Speaker Nancy Pelosi expressed concern that Trump would refuse to accept the results of next year’s election if Democrats had a narrow victory, the Hill reports.

In a tweet later Sunday, Trump complained that two years of his presidency had been “stollen” by the investigation, Politico reports. “Despite the tremendous success that I have had as President, including perhaps the greatest ECONOMY and most successful first two years of any President in history, they have stollen two years of my (our) Presidency (Collusion Delusion) that we will never be able to get back,” he said. The “stollen” typo was later corrected.

Two things that made me chuckle…..one these people do not know the first thing about the Constitution and two these fools are the most hypocritical bunch.

Does this president have any idea what he is doing to this country and to the rule of law and the Constitution?

Anybody that supports this stupidity and the person behind it can NO LONGER claim to defend the Constitution and should remove it from their coat pockets where it waits to be used as a prop.

Advertisements

How Many “Wag The Dog” Can We Shoulder?

The US is thumping its chest over Iran (for some reason) and the Neocons that are Trump’s gang are still thumping their chests over Venezuela….

Speaking on ABC’s “This Week,” Secretary of State Mike Pompeo refused to comment on whether the administration would consult Congress before invading Venezuela, saying “I don’t want to speak to that.”

Pompeo shunned all questions about the role of Congress in a potential Venezuelan war, saying he is confident that President Trump has sufficient authority that whatever he decides will be legal.

This is a serious question constitutionally. Lawmakers note that the power to declare war lies exclusively with Congress. Fresh off of the veto of the Yemen War challenge, there is reason to question if the law matches up to the practical reality of US war-making anymore.

Pompeo would just insist that the US-imposed regime change in Venezuela is an inevitability, with or without the invasion. Though he has talked up the willingness to launch such an invasion, the administration seems to prefer to be vague about the specifics.

That’s likely because Congress may feel that, if war is imminent, they have a pressing need to pass legislation on the war, potentially complicating a unilateral attack. The administration reportedly has split on the matter of starting a war, though either way they seem securely on the side of Congress not being involved in that conversation.

(antiwar.com)

Why is this a big question?

Well after 3 failed attempts to steal the country for the US Guido (not his real name) is considering asking the US to do the unspeakable……INVADE!

Venezuelan opposition leader Juan Guaido has confirmed that he is considering asking the United States to invade Venezuela to install him in power. He says this is one of several options under consideration now.

Guaido is keen to see Maduro forcibly removed from power so he can replace him, and after last week’s failed US-backed coup, he is looking for a new avenue to pursue, despite arguing that he’s not “defeated” entirely.

Russian FM Sergey Lavrov issued his own statement on Sunday, calling on the US to abandon its campaign to overthrow Maduro at any rate, saying it was an “irresponsible” plan. Lavrov will be in Finland on Monday, and is expected to meet with Mike Pompeo while there.

The US has for months committed to supporting Guaido, and officials have long threatened an invasion to make it happen. Though not everyone in the US is on board with a war, some in the administration maintain that the US is determined to oust Maduro by any method, and seem to be running out of ideas for a US-imposed regime change that doesn’t involve conquering the country.

(antiwar.com)

Another point…..no matter which MSM outlet you prefer…just listen to the coverage…they are acting as the PR agents for INVASION…..not one is actually reporting the news instead are driving the news.

Why do I say this?

Continuing to try to adjust the narrative of US meddling in Venezuelan, officials have settled on a new course of action in the past few days: flat out lying. Officials, and parts of the US media, are now referring to Juan Guaido as the “duly elected president of Venezuela.”

In reality, Guaido was not duly elected as president, nor indeed did he ever participate in a Venezuelan general election for president. He was elected to parliament in 2015, and has risen to a position of substantial power within parliament, in no small part because of US support.

Then in January the Trump Administration started pushing Guaido to try to take the country over. The legal pretext was that the constitution allows the head of parliament to be an “interim president” if the president-elect doesn’t show up for his inauguration.

President Maduro was actually inaugurated on January 10, after being elected. He held the inauguration in front of the Supreme Court instead of the Assembly building however, which led some to claim it didn’t count. The US wanted to see Guaido replace Maduro, however, so they insisted that this was fine, and Guaido is president now.

While the US recognizing Guaido’s on-paper takeover as legitimate was a fairly cynical move, calling him duly elected president is an absolute lie. It’s not even clear where this lie started, though it is clearly spreading.

(antiwar.com)

Guido is not legally elected at anything……but the MSM will continue to spread the admin approved propaganda until they get the conflict they want…..and we average Americans will pay the price not the d/bags in DC and the Pentagon.

In conclusion….Pompeo is a clown!  He contradicts himself in interviews and says he has no idea what the prez has said…..he is SecState it is job to know what gthed prez has to say on foreign policy.

This is what we get when amateurs run the country.

Wag The Dog!

Trump over the weekend was freaking out on Twitter over the announcement that Mueller would be testifying before Congress this month.

Then from the shadows came the word that the US was deploying a strike group to the Middle East….

The United States will send an aircraft carrier and a bomber task force to the Middle East in response to “troubling and escalatory indications and warnings” from Iran, national security advisor John Bolton announced on Sunday.

Bolton, who is known for his hawkish stance on Iran, did not specify what “warnings” the United States was responding to; however, a U.S. official with knowledge of the situation told CNN that threats had been made against “both U.S. maritime and land-based forces in the Middle East.”

Although there has been no indication that “any action by Iran is imminent,” the deployments are meant as a deterrent, the official told the news network.

Secretary of State Mike Pompeo confirmed on Sunday that the U.S. had seen “escalatory actions from the Iranians,” AP reported. He refused to elaborate on what these actions entailed, yet insisted that “we have good reason to want to communicate clearly about how the Iranians should understand how we will respond to actions they may take.”

What troubling developments?

Was this the news to deflect the temper tantrum our Dear Beloved Supreme Leader is having during his most recent meltdown?

Please tell me this is not some BS to “protect” Israel.

With all the aid they get from the US they are well capable of protecting themselves from rockets and stones.

Speaking of rockets…..what happened to their “Iron Dome” defense…a system that the US is suppose to buy….if rockets get through maybe it is not as effective as they say…..maybe the US should save that cash.  (Sounds like a good topic for a post)

My money is on trying to divert attention from Trump to Iran…..a diversion too often used by this administration (well most admins have used this technique)……..

Watch This Page!

COWARDS!

The armed conflict in Yemen has been raging and the Saudis have with their allies destroyed most of the country and displaced millions to the point of starvation with disease running rampant…..

Back in February I wrote that the Congress was about to do something bold to cease US support for the Saudis genocide of the Yemanis…..

In no place is congressional action more urgent than in Yemen, where approximately half of the population—nearly 14 million people—remain on the brink of starvation due to the war and the ensuing economic collapse in the country. Although congressional pressure caused the Trump administration to finally call for an end to the war last October and cut off U.S. refueling support in November, the United States remains intimately involved in the Saudi- and UAE-led military operations in the country.

 
The Congress passed the bill and it has gone to Trump for his veto….which he did (did the Saudis pay for that veto?).  Now the bill goes back to the Congress for an attempt at an override of the veto.
 
The M-IC will use all its muscle to see that the override attempt is a failure……Pompeo voiced his contempt for the bill…..
With the Senate planning this week to “process” President Trump’s veto of the War Powers Act challenge to the Yemen War, Secretary of State Mike Pompeo took the reins to try to defend US involvement in Yemen as in America’s best interest.

Pompeo’s argument centered on the idea that the US was obliged to help Saudi Arabia defend itself from retaliatory fights, now that the Saudis had launched a war and provoked that retaliation.

On top of that poor argument for an obligation, Pompeo relied on what the administration seems to believe is the most compelling argument, even if it is wholly based on a lie. He argued that the whole war was Iran’s fault, and not intervening would make Iran happy.

This was the argument Saudi Arabia successfully used to sucker the US into this war, though to be fair that didn’t take much effort. The Iran never had more than tentative links to the Shi’ite Houthi movement, and that they’re not even the same type of Shi’ites, was lost on the administration, and Pompeo seems to hope it will also be lost on the Senate.

Pompeo’s argument is effectively that the US has blundered so deeply into a foolish war they have to keep plugging away, and to the extent we can fool ourselves into thinking we’re somehow sticking it to Iran we might feel a little better about all the harm we’re doing to Yemen.
 
(antiwar.com)
The Saudi money is well spent……the COWARDS in the Senate has failed to override……
Calls to reassert Congressional authority over US war-making failed to muster enough votes to override President Trump’s veto of the Yemen War Powers resolution, which demanded Trump withdraw US involvement from the unauthorized war. The vote was 53-45, short of the two-thirds majority needed to override.

Opposition to the war was driven by the war crimes being committed by the US-backed Saudis, and the Saudi assassination of Jamal Khashoggi, which had some in Congress questioning the US backing them in a war.

The Trump Administration argued variously that Yemen didn’t count as a war, that Trump had unilateral authority on the war, and that the war in Yemen would be bad for Iran and therefore in America’s interests.

Though none of these arguments stood up to close scrutiny, the Republican leadership in the Senate broadly echoed them. Ultimately, this was still enough to keep the veto from being overridden.
 
(antiwar.com)
Time for the money the Saudis are spreading around like peanut butter come to light….and the cowards that accept the bribes step out of the shadows.
 
And those “bribes” turn into money cash in support of this war…..

Michael Knights, Ken Pollack, and Barbara Walter make an unpersuasive case that the U.S. should increase its support for the Saudi coalition war on Yemen:

True peace in Yemen will remain elusive unless both sides accept that they have nothing to gain from more fighting. We are not there yet. To get there will require not cutting off U.S. support for Saudi Arabia but threatening to doube down on it unless the Houthis honor their commitments to the UN and are ready to disgorge most of their initial conquests. If Washington is serious about ending the war, it must come to terms with this uncomfortable fact.

The “fact” mentioned here is not a fact at all. It is an unfounded opinion offered in support of a truly reprehensible policy idea. Trying to get the Houthis to “disgorge most of their initial conquests” is what the Saudi coalition has been trying and failing to do for more than four years. Threatening to increase U.S. support to the coalition isn’t going to change this, and actually increasing U.S. military assistance to an indefensible war is an unacceptable option that would only serve to escalate and prolong the conflict.

 
The US support of the Saudi’s war is costing more than money.
 
It needs to cease!
 
Turn The Page!