What can I say? I have been on Qatar’s side since this mash up began…..for one I do not trust the Saudis at all and second, their demands were unreasonable…..just a refresher on the demands…
1) Scale down diplomatic ties with Iran and close the Iranian diplomatic missions in Qatar, expel members of Iran’s Revolutionary Guard and cut off military and intelligence cooperation with Iran. Trade and commerce with Iran must comply with US and international sanctions in a manner that does not jeopardise the security of the Gulf Cooperation Council (GCC).
2) Immediately shut down the Turkish military base that is currently being built, and halt military cooperation with Turkey inside Qatari territories.
3) Sever all ties to all the “terrorist, sectarian and ideological organisations,” specifically the Muslim Brotherhood, ISIL, al-Qaeda, Fateh Al-Sham (formerly known as Nusra Front) and Lebanon’s Hezbollah. Qatar needs to formally declare those entities as terrorist groups based on the list of groups that was announced by Saudi Arabia, Bahrain, UAE and Egypt, and concur with all future updates of this list.
4) Stop all means of funding for individuals, groups or organisations that have been designated as terrorists by Saudi Arabia, UAE, Egypt, Bahrain, US and other countries.
5) Hand over “terrorist figures,” fugitives and wanted individuals from Saudi Arabia, the UAE, Egypt and Bahrain to their countries of origin. Freeze their assets, and provide any desired information about their residency, movements and finances.
6) Shut down Al Jazeera Network and its affiliate stations.
7) End interference in sovereign countries’ internal affairs. Stop granting citizenship to wanted nationals from Saudi Arabia, UAE, Egypt and Bahrain. Revoke Qatari citizenship for existing nationals where such citizenship violates those countries’ laws.
8) Qatar has to pay reparations and compensation for loss of life and other financial losses caused by Qatar’s policies in recent years. The sum will be determined in coordination with Qatar.
9) Qatar must align itself with the other Gulf and Arab countries militarily, politically, socially and economically, as well as on economic matters, in line with an agreement reached with Saudi Arabia in 2014.
10) Submit all personal details of all the opposition members that Qatar supported and detail all support that Qatar has provided them in the past. Stop all contacts with the political opposition in Saudi Arabia, UAE, Egypt and Bahrain. Hand over all files detailing Qatar’s prior contacts with and support for those opposition groups.
11) Shut down all news outlets that it funds, directly and indirectly, including Arabi21, Rassd, Al Araby Al Jadeed, Mekameleen and Middle East Eye, etc.
12) Agree to all the demands within 10 days of it being submitted to Qatar, or the list becomes invalid.
13) Consent to monthly audits for the first year after agreeing to the demands, then once per quarter during the second year. For the following 10 years, Qatar would be monitored annually for compliance.
First the Saudis issued their demands and then followed it up with an ultimatum…..Qatar had ten days to comply.
Ten days came and went….no compliance…then the Saudis extended the time frame……that came and went and no compliance…….what will be the next step for the Saudis…war? More talk?
The chest thumping has toned itself down a bit…….
NO they did what bullies do…they backed down…..a “revised” list of demands….
– Prohibiting all acts of incitement and all forms of expression which spread, incite, promote or justify hatred and violence.
– Full commitment to Riyadh Agreement 2013 and the supplementary agreement and its executive mechanism for 2014 within the framework of the Gulf Cooperation Council (GCC) for Arab States.
– Commitment to all the outcomes of the Arab-Islamic-US Summit held in Riyadh in May 2017.
– Refrain from interfering in the internal affairs of States and from supporting illegal entities.
– The responsibility of all States of international community to confront all forms of extremism and terrorism as a threat to international peace and security.
Source: Qatar and the GCC feud: The climb down begins | Middle East Eye
This tiny country stood up to the bullies of the neighborhood and won……
You gotta love it!
Off I go to be coddled, poked, prodded, massaged and …did I say prodded?
I will return as soon as I can escape from the medical establishment……’til then….have a day….chuq