That is a term that is batted around anytime the police are involved….but what the Hell does it really mean?
A state in which the government exercises rigid and repressive controls over the social, economic, and political life of the people, especially by means of a secret police force.
When protestors are kidnapped into unmarked cars and bystanders are told they will be shot if they are followed, you can be sure that the warnings of impending fascism are not exaggerated.
Does that sum it up nicely for you?
If not then this infographic may be of some small help as well…..
What makes me want to post on this situation now is the things happening in Portland Oregon……
Video footage and first-hand accounts of unidentified federal law enforcement officials snatching up Black Lives Matter protesters in Portland, Oregon and throwing them into unmarked vehicles drew nationwide attention and outrage Friday, with members of Congress, human rights groups, and journalists accusing the Trump administration of deploying “secret police” to crush dissent.
“Unmarked federal agents in combat gear are pulling protesters off the street and jailing them without charge,” tweeted Sen. Bernie Sanders (I-Vt.). “That is what a police state is all about. Now is the time to defend our Constitution. Now is the time to come together and defeat Trump’s authoritarian policies.”
The Mayor of Portland has finally come out with a demand that the president withdraw these thugs from the streets of Portland…..
Portland’s mayor threw down the gauntlet Friday after federal agents—some wearing camouflage in unmarked minivans—were seen grabbing people off the streets, the AP reports. “Keep your troops in your own buildings, or have them leave our city,” Mayor Ted Wheeler said at a press conference in a message to President Trump. “This is part of the core media strategy out of Trump’s White House: to use federal troops to bolster his sagging polling data. And it is an absolute abuse of federal law enforcement officials.” The agents have charged 13 protesters so far but also arrested people far from federal property the agents were assigned to protect. The ACLU calls it “extraordinarily concerning.” For more:
- The defense: “We’re going to do our job,” acting Homeland Security Secretary Chad Wolf told KPTV of the federal officers. “We’re going to do it professionally. But we’re not going to have these violent anarchists who show up about the same time every night for a series of hours, having that federal destruction to property.”
- The accusation: Customs and Border Protection said Friday one arrest caught on video showed a suspect who had allegedly damaged property or assaulted federal agents, per the New York Times. CBP said agents identified themselves but didn’t show their names due to “recent doxxing incidents against law enforcement personnel.”
- A lawsuit: The ACLU filed a lawsuit against the Department of Homeland Security and US Marshals Service on Friday, accusing agents of acting “over the widespread objections of local leaders” and “indiscriminately using tear gas, rubber bullets, and acoustic weapons against protesters, journalists, and legal observers.”
- An investigation: US Attorney for Oregon Billy Williams called for an investigation Friday into the camouflaged agents’ behavior, per KHSU. He said the officers defended the Mark O. Hatfield federal courthouse against “an onslaught of commercial fireworks, laser strikes, glass, mortars, paint and anything else near at hand,” but in finding those responsible, may have acted questionably in “limited instances.”
- Was it legal? Washington officials cited 40 US Code 1315, which allows DHS to deputize other federal agents in guarding federal property and make arrests “on and off the property in question.” But a historian tells the New York Times that this interpretation undermines other “checks and balances on DHS’ power because the officers’ power is effectively limitless and all encompassing.”
- A secret memo: The Nation has obtained an “internal talking points memo” for the CBP that tells officials not to say where CBP agents are deployed and for how long. It also says there’s a special DHS task force—created in response to Trump’s order to protect US monuments and memorials—tasked with assessing civil unrest and using extra resources to stop it.
- No more ribs: City and county police shut down a makeshift kitchen in downtown Portland—aptly called Riot Ribs—that served free sausages, ribs, and chorizo tacos to protesters for 12 days, Eater reports. It was used by people in a park where protests have been buzzing despite police use of tear gas and rubber bullets.
- Shot in the head: Portland protester Donavan LaBella was shot in the head by a “non-lethal” round and apparently suffered skull and facial fractures, KATU reports. The 26-year-old has undergone surgery and is responding to doctors. Wheeler called the shooting “unacceptable.” The US Marshals Service is investigating.
Regardless whether you agree with the protesters or not….this situation is a violation of everything this country stands for and needs to be put in its place and made so that it will NEVER happen again.
The US does not need a Gestapo….we have the FBI for such chores.
Makes me ask….if this would have happened under the Obama presidency what would the Uber Right have said?
I mean they had a cow when some weapons from a sting op hit the streets…..they would have lost their minds if Obama had ordered the federal troops onto the streets of this country.
This is a pathetic use of the powers of leadership…..the world has seen all this authoritarianism before…..and it was defeated then and will be so today.
Now I wait for the defenders of these policies to show up and take me to task……
I Read, I Write, You Know
“lego ergo scribo”