We all, well most all, grew up with the values that our parents instilled into us…..for me it was patriotism and country more than anything else…..I was taught that this is a country for all and that I should work to that end…..and I have watched those values slowly erode away…..to an ugly shadow of its former self.
Erode to the point that my values are no longer the focus of the country…..
The values Americans consider “very important” are undergoing fundamental shifts, according to a new poll by the Wall Street Journal and NBC News. However, one thing hasn’t changed from a similar survey 21 years ago: “Hard work” was at the top then (83%), and it remains at the top now (89%), per Axios. But beyond that, attitudes are shifting:
- Patriotism: The percentage who consider it very important dropped from 70% in 1998 to 61%.
- Religion: This dropped from 62% to 48%.
- Having kids: Down from 59% to 43%.
- Money: Up from 31% to 41%.
- Community involvement: Up from 47% to 62%.
- Age divide: Age of respondents is a big factor. For example, 79% of those older than 55 say patriotism is very important. For those 18 to 38, the figure drops to 42%, per the Hill. A similar age divide occurred in the ranking of the importance of religion.
- A takeaway: “There’s an emerging America where issues like children, religion and patriotism are far less important,” Republican pollster Bill McInturff tells the Journal. “And in America, it’s the emerging generation that calls the shots about where the country is headed.”
Fascinating how times and ideals change.
Also fascinating that the political parties are not addressing the values of the voters anymore……only what gets them votes no matter how outlandish they are.
The values of the donors are more important than those of the average voter.
Maybe you should take that under advisement when you decide where to place your vote.
“Lego Ergo Scribo”
“et Certa Apud Verbis”