73 million people watched the first 2020 presidential debate. (Did anyone learn anything new?)
For all those that have not heard the first presidential debate was a shout fest and a complete disaster.
Even FOX’s anchor Wallace has seen the disaster of the evening…..
It’s “soul-searching” time for Chris Wallace. The Fox News Sunday anchor admits he struggled to moderate last night’s presidential debate—a contentious affair that one pundit called “two old men shouting at each other”—but he isn’t apologizing or taking all the blame. “I’ve read some of the reviews. I know people think, well, gee, I didn’t jump in soon enough,” Wallace tells the New York Times in a voice still hoarse from the debate. “I guess I didn’t realize—and there was no way you could, hindsight being 20/20—that this was going to be the president’s strategy, not just for the beginning of the debate but the entire debate.” For more:
- “I thought this was great—this is a debate!” Wallace says of the moment when President Trump first spoke straight to Joe Biden. But as Trump kept interrupting, Wallace got worried. Then came “desperation.” He says he “never dreamt that it would go off the tracks the way it did.”
- “You’re reluctant—as somebody who has said from the very beginning that I wanted to be as invisible as possible, and to enable them to talk—to rise to the point at which you begin to interject more and more. First to say, ‘Please don’t interrupt,’ then ‘Please obey the rules,’ and third, ‘This isn’t serving the country well.'”
- Should the president’s microphone be cut off he interrupts next time? “People have to remember, and too many people forget, both of these candidates have the support of tens of millions of Americans.”
- “Generally speaking, I did as well as I could, so I don’t have any second thoughts there. I’m just disappointed with the results.”
- “To quote the president, ‘It is what it is.'”
The entire paid punditry told whoever would listen that changes should be made to the format and mechanisms of the debate process……and the debate officials were shamed into making the changes that the pundits want……
After the chaos in Cleveland Tuesday night, some Democrats have been calling for Joe Biden to skip the next two debates with President Trump, who ignored moderator Chris Wallace’s pleas to stick to the agreed-upon rules and stop interrupting his opponent. But Biden’s campaign says he’s definitely going to show up in Miami and Nashville—and the Commission on Presidential Debates says there will be some changes. In a statement Wednesday, the CPD said the Tuesday debate made it clear that “additional structure” should be added to the remaining debate to “ensure a more orderly discussion.” The commission thanked Wallace for the “professionalism and skill” he brought to the debate.
The debate commission said it is “carefully considering” the changes and will announce them soon. Kate Bedingfield, Biden’s deputy campaign manager, said Tuesday night that Biden will definitely be at the Oct. 15 debate in Miami, the Tampa Bay Times reports. In that debate, the candidates will take questions from voters, and Bedingfield said it will be up to Trump whether he wants to repeat his “unhinged meltdown.” Trump campaign communications director Tim Murtaugh slammed the nonpartisan commission, saying it was only looking at changes “because their guy got pummeled last night.” He accused Biden of “trying to work the refs,” adding: “They shouldn’t be moving the goalposts and changing the rules in the middle of the game.”
Seriously? Do these self-absorbed d/bags really think that Trump will follow the rules? He did not in the first debate why would he play nice in the second and third?
It always amazes me just how naive these political pros can be.
My thought on the popular idea of a kill switch will play into the hands of Trump and his minions…..they can use it to prove that the news is corrupt and out to get Donald the Orange. I agree with whoever said that the remaining debates should be canceled because nothing more can be learned….the viewer has seen all they need to know about Trump and his “style”…..
No one will listen to this lonely blogger and the change will be made and the news cycle will have their few days of story lines to keep them in beans.
I close with Weird Al’s look at the debate….
I Read, I Write, You Know
“lego ergo scribo”