It is that time again….the season of the political conventions……and today is the first for 2020 and it will be the Democrats…..keeping with the social distancing thing because of the Covid-19 it will be a virtual convention…..
For those that are interested in hearing what the politicians have to say….I have a rundown for you…..
A political convention unlike any that came before—thanks to the pandemic—begins Monday night. The Democratic event to formally nominate Joe Biden and Kamala Harris will run 9pm to 11pm Monday through Thursday. Some details:
- Watching: You can watch it in full via the official stream on YouTube or via the convention website. ABC, CBS, NBC, and Fox News will carry it from 10 to 11 each night, while C-SPAN, CNN, MSNBC, and PBS will run the full event, per the New York Times. Streams also are available via Apple TV, Roku, and Amazon Fire TV (search “2020 DNC”) and via Amazon Prime Video (“DNC”).\
- Monday night: Michelle Obama, Bernie Sanders, Amy Klobuchar, and a Republican—former Ohio Gov. John Kasich—are among the names on the speaking roster. Also: Sen. Catherine Cortez Masto, New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo, Michigan Gov. Gretchen Whitmer, Rep. Jim Clyburn, Convention Chairman Rep. Bennie Thompson, Rep. Gwen Moore, and Sen. Doug Jones.
- Key demographic: Kasich is on the docket to appeal to Republicans unhappy with President Trump who might consider voting Democratic this year, explains USA Today.
- Key question: What will Bernie say? The Vermont senator will have to walk a tricky line between keeping his base firmly behind Biden while speaking about his more progressive policies, per CNN. The consensus is that he will make the case that the issue of paramount importance is getting Trump out of office, and the policy fights can happen later.
- Logistics: The convention will have “hubs” in New York, Los Angeles, Milwaukee, and in the Biden home of Wilmington, Del. Emcees from Los Angeles will lead the programming, and speakers will be in different parts of the country.
I wish I could get excited for this election but so far it has been a yawn……maybe something will break out of the Convention that will get me in the mood for voting for a Democrat…..
I Read, I Write, You Know
“lego ergo scribo”