Last night our newly elected president gave his first speech before a joint session of Congress….it is a much anticipated speech and many were expecting good things and some not so good….
But I will be honest…I did not watch or listen to the speech….I prefer to print it out and read it for myself that way I am not biased by lip smacking pundits one way or the other…..(in case you might would like to try my technique)…..
Now the question is….how did he do for his first time (they say you ever forget your first time)…….I found 12 lines within the speech that I think I should highlight….
- “When we celebrate our 250 years of glorious freedom, we will look back on tonight as when this new chapter of American greatness began.”
- “We are a country that stands united in condemning hate and evil in all of its very ugly forms.”
- “We cannot allow a beachhead of terrorists to form inside America. We cannot allow our nation to become a sanctuary for extremists.”
- “We will work with our allies, including our friends and allies in the Muslim world, to extinguish this vile enemy from our planet,” referring to ISIS.
- “Mandating every American to buy government-approved health insurance was never the right solution for our country,” he said, calling on Congress to “repeal and replace ObamaCare.”
- “I have ordered the Department of Homeland Security to create an office to serve American victims,” he said, referring to crimes committed by undocumented immigrants. “The office is called VOICE—Victims Of Immigration Crime Engagement. We are providing a voice to those who have been ignored by our media, and silenced by special interests.”
- “Education is the civil rights issue of our time.”
- “We’ve spent trillions and trillions of dollars overseas, while our infrastructure at home has so badly crumbled.”
- “People turned out by the tens of millions, and they were all united by one very simple, but crucial demand, that America must put its own citizens first, because only then, can we truly ‘Make America Great Again,'” he said, referring to his election win.
- “We want all Americans to succeed—but that can’t happen in an environment of lawless chaos. We must restore integrity and the rule of law at our borders,” he said, promising that construction would soon start on “a great wall along our southern border.”
- But: “I believe that real and positive immigration reform is possible, as long as we focus on the following goals: to improve jobs and wages for Americans, to strengthen our nation’s security, and to restore respect for our laws.” (Before the speech, he suggested he was softening his position on allowing more undocumented immigrants to stay.)
- “Everything that is broken in our country can be fixed. Every problem can be solved. And every hurting family can find healing, and hope.”
This did one thing….it calmed the nerves of the freaking GOP…..they now have a vision (even a minor vision) that they can work with going forward.
Was it a brilliant speech? Not even close but it was a pretty good speech….at least it was not a rehash of his election rhetoric….I am guessing that he finally decided to use a speech writer which was a wise choice.
I am sure that hiding in the dark corners of reality there will be some that think this was a game changer of a speech….