The stupidity has started already around the upcoming 2024 elections….right wing moronic ideas have lit a match for the 2024 elections….
Some of the more sillier ideas these slugs are promoting…..
A Biden-Trump rematch seems like a plausible bet for the 2024 race. And while a Trump candidacy isn’t a sure thing, headlines have surfaced recently suggesting that just as much uncertainty dogs the Democratic side. Examples:
- Clinton again? An op-ed in the Wall Street Journal lays out a scenario in which Hillary Clinton would once again run for president. “Several circumstances—President Biden’s low approval rating, doubts over his capacity to run for re-election at 82, Vice President Kamala Harris’ unpopularity, and the absence of another strong Democrat to lead the ticket in 2024—have created a leadership vacuum in the party, which Mrs. Clinton viably could fill,” write Douglas E. Schoen and Andrew Stein.
- No Harris? In the New York Times, Thomas Friedman makes the case for what would be another startling Democratic ticket: Biden-Cheney. As in, Republican Rep. Liz Cheney. Friedman argues that we’re in dire political times and in need of unprecedented action, and he draws a parallel to what recently happened in Israel. He quotes political scientist Steven Levitsky: “We should be ready to talk about Liz Cheney as part of a blow-your-mind Israeli-style fusion coalition with Democrats. It is a coalition that says: ‘There is only one overriding goal right now—that is saving our democratic system.'”
- Um, no: At CNN, Chris Cillizza runs through the idea of Clinton running in 2024 and offers a point-by-point rebuttal. For example, the op-ed authors argue that Clinton has the perfect experience for the job, but “isn’t that what voters chose the current president for?” he asks. “Yes, yes it is. And while Clinton and Biden are not carbon copies of one another, their relevant experience is remarkably similar—long careers in the public policy space in Washington.” He points out that Clinton already has lost twice even with her long resume, and he doesn’t buy the idea that she’s sending signals that she’d be willing to run.
- Um, no, II: At the Intelligencer blog, Ed Kiglore throws similar cold water on the Cheney idea. “Democrats are very likely to say thanks, but no thanks, to Friedman for the idea of submitting their party to some sort of unwieldy and unnatural coalition of national salvation, so long as there is the slightest hope of beating Trump the old-fashioned way,” he writes. Cheney does indeed deserve “great respect” for how she has defied Trump, and maybe something like an ambassadorship is a fitting reward should Biden win again. “But she has no business being at the top of the line of succession to a Democratic president.”
- Or maybe … As long as people are tossing out wild ideas, the Fix blog of the Washington Post pitches some “far-fetched sleeper tickets” of its own. Some examples: Biden and Mary Trump, Michelle and Barack Obama, Biden and Dick Cheney, or Biden with Republican Govs. Larry Hogan of Maryland, Charlie Baker of Massachusetts, or Phil Scott of Vermont.
I am sure this is not the total extent of the stupidity that will be spread….but it had to start somewhere…..and here it is.
Watch This Blog!
I Read, I Write, You Know
“lego ergo scribo”
21 thoughts on “Closing Thought–20Jan22”
As long as we are throwing crap against the wall, I rather like a Morgan Freeman/Meryl Streep thing. I suppose in the absence of that possibility I’d settle for Laura Linney/Helen Hunt. Hmm.. I seem to have a Hollywood pattern showing here. Either way, Bruce Willis is Secretary of State.
My favorite is Biden/Cheney ticket……chuq
Interesting.. but which of the two moderates becomes Conservative or Liberal?
They both are conservative regardless of the mean nothing labels they embrace…..chuq
Hillary has been on chat shows over here, promoting her new book. She has ‘denied’ being interested in running again, but she looked suitably coy when she said that.
Best wishes, Pete.
Those damn Clintons think they are entitled….watch for the daughter to make a show soon…..chuq
Gad! Aren’t there any non-geriatric, non-Boomer possibilities? Speaking as a Boomer….
I agree….the Boomers have screwed up enough time for someone else to get the chance. Speaking as a Boomer as well…… chuq
I felt this way in 2016 as well, and the principal players were already long in the tooth.
Doug I have watched my generation drink the stupid kool-aid and it amazes me at the crap they can sink into. chuq
Yeah, it is beyond understandable. They can accept anything on the Internet, any scam artist, but deny the truth of organizations that produce news through an editorial process that requires multiple verifications of each fact before they broadcast or print it. A college friend used to say “The average person is pretty average”, which sounded profound back in 1968, but is, sadly, truer than not in 2022, only there is the more troubling 39% who don’t live in this dimension.
The internet is masking us stupid. chuq
Finding a good local newspaper is harder and harder. Mine publishes once a week now, after decades of publishing every day but Sunday. The state newspaper decided people at this end of the state didn’t need daily news delivered to the front door and ended that a few years ago for 2/3rds of the geographic area of the state. Though these are available on the Internet, ink smudged fingers, the feel and scent of the news is a sensation I miss.
Mine has shutdown and the building is for sale….it is published 60 miles away but it is still a daily, a very thin daily…..I am with you….I want a paper or book in my hands…..little smells better than a book. Be well chuq
Books will last longer than digital retention. Carvings on cave walls or inside pyramids last longer than books. Communication is propped up by electricity. Once the electrons stop flowing we will welcome books and print again into our lives.
Interesting story here, chuq… et al..
Damn.. that was a long link.
Boomers ARE out to lunch sometimes, why i have one raping me in the car 24/7!
Working on the word ‘raping’…..chuq
I know….went to Spam….chuq
Being Independent does nothing to the “raping” of the US by the 2 major political parties and the MSM propaganda press.