We now have a new president-elect and I looking at issues that he, Biden, needs to focus on to get this country back to some sort of normal…..
Most of us don’t think about Rural America much these days….our little lives are focused in the cities and its surrounding regions…..but Rural America is suffering many problems and not all are the pandemic that the whole country is fighting these days.
A group has given the Biden/Harris team a blueprint for the revitalization of Rural America…..
In order to create “a rural America where everyone has the opportunity to share in the prosperity they help build,” the paper urged Biden and Harris to address five key issues:
- Intentionally involving rural Americans in the movement for a more just economy and food system;
- Rooting out systemic racism and creating opportunity for all;
- Democratizing the agrifood system;
- Combating climate change through rural innovation; and
- Modernizing rural infrastructure and investing in its people.
The revitalization plan argued that “today, a handful of corporations and their CEOs have the power to dictate who gets to farm, what they farm, and who gets to eat.”
“If rural America is to be a thriving hub of economic opportunity for all,” the authors wrote, “we must do more to end the stranglehold monopoly corporations have over our rural economies and end the wealth gap that exists.”
I will be watching to see if the Biden/Harris team are more than slogans and idle words…..
Watch This This Blog!
I Read, I Write, You Know
“lego ergo scribo”