As this year creeps towards its end and my weekend begins…….and of course award shows almost every weekend night….I give my readers the quotes of 2019 that will become part of history.
Activist Greta Thunberg and actress Emma Watson have two of the 10 most notable quotes of 2019, according to a librarian at Yale Law School. But it’s the line at the center of the impeachment inquiry—”I would like you to do us a favor, though”—from President Trump’s July 25 phone call with Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky that’s at the top of the heap assembled by Fred Shapiro in the annual update to The Yale Book of Quotations. The other new additions, meant to reveal the spirit of the times, per the AP:
- We are in the beginning of a mass extinction. And all you can talk about is money and fairy tales of eternal economic growth. How dare you!” — Greta Thunberg in her Sept. 23 speech at the United Nations Climate Action Summit in New York.
- “When we’re dancing with the angels, the question will be asked: ‘In 2019, what did we do to make sure we kept our democracy intact? Did we stand on the sidelines and say nothing?'” — Rep. Elijah Cummings, in his closing statement at Michael Cohen’s Feb. 27 hearing before the House Oversight Committee.
- “I would rather be dead in a ditch [than ask the European Union for a delay in Brexit].” — UK Prime Minister Boris Johnson, speaking Sept. 5.
- “The Prime Minister’s advice to Her Majesty was unlawful, void, and of no effect.” — Supreme Court of the UK President Brenda Hale, ruling on Sept. 24 that Parliament was never legally suspended.
- “If we had had confidence that the president clearly did not commit a crime, we would have said so.” — Special counsel Robert Mueller, speaking May 29 at the Department of Justice.
- “I have a plan for that.” — Sen. Elizabeth Warren, remarks at She the People forum in Houston on April 24.
- “Poor kids are just as bright, just as talented, as white kids.” — Presidential candidate Joe Biden, remarks to Asian and Latino Coalition, Des Moines, Iowa, on Aug. 8.
- “I’m very happy [being single]. I call it being self-partnered.” — Emma Watson to British Vogue‘s December issue.
- “I love you 3000.” — actress Alexandra Rabe in Avengers: Endgame.
I am sure that there are others but these stick in my mind the best.
I Read, I Wrote, You Know
“Lego Ergo Scribo”