I think I have found what the GOP wants to run against in 2020……The “Green New Deal”………
The new progressive representatives in the House are pushing for a “Green New Deal”…..I wrote about it when it first rose to the discussion point……https://lobotero.com/2018/12/06/the-green-new-deal/
The Dem “old guard” is warming to the deal but I am not so sure that they can be trusted…….
Environmental activists received a reality check when newly empowered Democrats in the U.S. House of Representatives pushed aside demands for an environmental economic transition program— a Green New Deal, in favor of reviving a toothless committee to ‘study’ the problem. A transition program is needed to mitigate the economic dislocations that will result from resolving the multiple environmental crises currently underway.
The move by Democrats virtually guarantees that the political support needed to move such a transition forward will be undermined by the day-to-day needs of the economically precarious majority. Recent evidence in this direction comes from the French gilets jaunes (yellow vests) whose rebellion allegedly began in response to an environmental gasoline tax. The rebellion was opportunistically framed as against environmental resolution rather than who pays for it.
I read that the Senate Repubs wants a vote on the plan because they want the Dems on record before the 2020 elections so it can be used against the Dems…….the House Repubs are following suit……will the Dem leadership back away from any deal to protect their candidates and keep their donors?
Once again politics trumps the good of the country….political games and political cowardice will rule the day.
Now is the time for these brave freshman reps to build a coalition in favor of the “Green New Deal” to counter the games the Repubs are playing…….
“The only solution that matches the scale of our multiple crises, including global warming, corporate control of our food system, income inequality, and the general decline of our environment and our democracy”
Progressive organizers are mobilizing behind the Green New Deal resolution—unveiled last week by Rep. Alexandria Ocastio-Cortez (D-N.Y.) and Sen. Ed Markey (D-Mass.)—with renewed energy to build “an unprecedented political coalition” to radically transform the nation’s energy system and address the climate crisis while also facilitating a just transition to a new, greener economy.
Since initial backers hailed the introduction of the historic resolution as a huge accomplishment on Thursday, a growing number of labor, economic justice, racial justice, indigenous, environmental, and community organizations have lined up behind the bold proposal and vowed to pressure lawmakers to pass it. The youth-led Sunrise Movement, which has spearheaded grassroots organizing in favor of the deal, is planning more than 600 congressional office visits this week to garner support.
There are five goals, which the resolution says should be accomplished in a 10-year mobilization effort:
- Achieve net-zero greenhouse gas emissions through a fair and just transition for all communities and workers
- Create millions of good, high-wage jobs and ensure prosperity and economic security for all people of the United States
- Invest in the infrastructure and industry of the United States to sustainably meet the challenges of the 21st century
- Secure for all people of the United States for generations to come: clean air and water; climate and community resiliency; healthy food; access to nature; and a sustainable environment
- Promote justice and equity by stopping current, preventing future, and repairing historic oppression of indigenous peoples, communities of color, migrant communities, deindustrialized communities, depopulated rural communities, the poor, low-income workers, women, the elderly, the unhoused, people with disabilities, and youth (“frontline and vulnerable communities”)
Now is the time for action….I salute those that have signed on to this plan….it can only do good for the country and its people.
Further Reading for those interested in learning more about the “Green New Deal”……..https://www.counterpunch.org/2019/02/15/the-green-new-deal-capitalism-and-the-state/
Listen for the attacks or socialism for that is all the GOP will have….an old diatribe that has NO bearing on society of today.