I have writing about the offering of them Progressive Dems and trying to educate my readers o9n what is what with this proposal……https://lobotero.com/2018/12/06/the-green-new-deal/
Now that we have a new president and maybe a way forward with this proposal…..but first….99% of the Progressive co-sponsors of the Green New Deal won their re-election…..
Shedding more light on a significant electoral trend that progressives have drawn attention to in the aftermath of the 2020 U.S. election, a new analysis by Earther found that of the 93 House co-sponsors of the Green New Deal resolution who ran for reelection this year, only one lost their congressional race.
“Simply put,” wrote journalist Brian Kahn in Earther, “the Green New Deal is not a political loser,” including for representatives in swing districts.
Kahn identified four House co-sponsors who represent districts that “range from very slightly Democratic to moderately Republican,” according to Cook Political Report’s Partisan Voting Index.
https://www.commondreams.org/news/2020/11/09/99-green-new-deal-co-sponsors-won-their-races-cycle-analysis…but for more in-depth look at those races and people…..https://earther.gizmodo.com/the-green-new-deal-didnt-sink-democrats-1845619942
To put this all simply….the Green New Deal is not the political loser that Centrist Dems and the GOP would have you believe…..but will it ever see the light of day with a Biden presidency….not likely!
While the president-elect, Joe Biden is a Centrist and in my mind a coward…there are a few things he could do to help our climate problems….just 10 things offered up by Naomi Klein…..
- Declare a national climate emergency under the National Emergencies Act, which would “unlock specific statutory powers to help accomplish the necessary response.” Biden would be able to direct federal agencies to reverse all of President Donald Trump’s regulatory rollbacks.
- Keep fossil fuels in the ground, halting fossil fuel permits and lease sales, banning fracking on federal lands, and issuing stringent pollution rules for oil and gas companies.
- Stop fossil fuel exports and infrastructure approvals through executive orders.
- Shift financial flows from fossil fuels to renewable energy sources through an executive order that would promote new investments and phase out old ones.
- Using the Clean Air Act, set a science-based national pollution cap.
- Power the electricity sector with 100% clean and renewable energy by 2030. Pursuant to the National Emergencies Act, Biden could direct the secretary of defense to redirect a portion of military spending to carry out a rapid construction program of renewable energy projects to meet a significant portion of the nation’s power needs. The president-elect could also provide loan guarantees to clean energy developers and utilities that use renewable energy.
- Issue an executive order creating an inter-agency just transition task force to implement a national program guaranteeing support for communities and workers affected by the halting of fossil fuel extraction.
- Direct federal agencies assess and mitigate environmental harms that disproportionately impact Indigenous, Black, brown, and low-income communities.
- Investigate and prosecute fossil fuel polluters and commit to vetoing all legislation that grants legal immunity to big polluters.
- Rejoin the Paris climate agreement and increase the United States’ emissions reduction commitment to slash greenhouse gas emissions below 2005 levels by at least 70% by 2030 and reduce them to near zero by 2040.
While I like most of this proposal…I just do not see a spineless politician doing them….too much corporate cash in his pocket.
I Read, I Write, You Know
“lego ergo scribo”