There is a group that tries to keep the world safe from a/wads and murders in nations…..the ICC…..
After WW2 and the founding of the UN the world attempted to find a way to make those that commit atrocities to be held accountable for their crimes…..
Most of history’s worst killers have gone unpunished. Josef Stalin said, “A single death is a tragedy, a million deaths is a statistic.” The ICC represents a strong and growing commitment by the international community to end impunity for atrocity crimes in the 21st Century.
After violent armed conflicts or other massive assaults on civilian populations, many countries remain mired in cycles of violence and retribution. Prosecuting individuals for atrocity crimes can:
- Achieve justice for the victims and for society and help create respect for the rule of law;
- Counter attempts to blame nations or ethnic, religious, or other groups as a whole for the crimes of individuals;
- Isolate and incapacitate criminal leaders so that they can be removed from active political participation;
- Acknowledge and condemn the suffering of victims and survivors;
- Establish an accurate historical record; and
- Act as a deterrent to future criminals.
These benefits can be advanced by the mere existence of the ICC. States will be encouraged to investigate and prosecute atrocity crimes because, if they do not, the ICC may find it necessary to pursue its own investigations and prosecutions.
Personally, I think it is a good idea…this would try to hold people like Stalin, Hitler, Mussolini et al responsible for their actions…..the problem is not all countries signed onto the ideal……like the US.
Recently some Africa countries that had signed are pulling their signatures because they say that 3rd world countries are targeted while others seem to skate from facing justice…..(below is a post that I did on this situation)…..
It appears that another country has decided to pull their signature also….Russia…..
This institution has not lived up to the promises it made to the international community….countries like the US did not sign on because of many reasons but the biggest in my mind is that they do bot want to be held accountable for their actions……
I think that if a country signs on to the UN then it must also sign on to the ICC of their UN application will not be processed.