College of Political Knowledge
I am glad you asked! I apologize for the redundancy, but as long as people keep using the term to describe Obama, I will be here to dispute their claim…..
As promised, I will once again teach you what socialism is and what you could expect from a government….
First, if you learn nothing else from our time together….learn this one fact….the statement, “from each according to his ability, to each according to his need” was NOT uttered by Marx, but rather a Frenchman, Louis Blanc…….
I have been fighting the insult of socialism for many years…..too many people throw it around and yet have NO idea what it is they are saying……I try to help people understand the political theory known as socialism.
The newest red meat thrown at Repubs is Newt…well not so new but rather the next right winger to get his day in the light….and Newt does not disappoint…..he has thrown the term “socialism” around more in the last couple of weeks than in most of his career…..sorry my GOP fans….Newt is an arrogant sociopathic little toad…you know this from past dealings with the man….but yet hatred for a prez will allow this person another look see…..
And then there is Rick Perry using the insult…….“We have a president who is a socialist,” Perry said in response to a question at the early morning GOPdebate in Concord, N.H.
And now the GOP’s front runner, Mitt, is using the insult but at least he tries to disguise the fact…..”He wants to turn America into a European-style entitlement society. We want to ensure that we remain a free and prosperous land of opportunity.” (The ever present “WE”….whoever they are)……
Like I have said…..Many use the term….few understand it…….Let me try to make in simple so that there is NO confusion….
- Socialism guarantees everyone a decent life with food, shelter, health care, and education.
- Socialism will work to eradicate poverty and great disparities of wealth.
- Socialism works to uproot racism, sexism, and homophobia. It aims to dismantle the hierarchies of gender and race.
- Socialism focuses on the common good as the way for individuals to excel and explore their talents and desires.
- Socialism puts working people—the working class—in charge of their destiny through workers’ ownership and active participation and management of production, land, public services, assets, and utilities.
- Socialism works to end the brutal cycle of policing and mass incarceration, and seeks to build a justice system that values human life and community empowerment.
- Socialism puts the global ecological system at the center of all economic activity.
- Socialism is about expanding individual rights (including the freedom to criticize), deepening and widening democracy and democratic institutions (like government, schools, unions, community groups), and ensuring dignity.
In other words….it is democracy at work……a political theory that involves and includes all people in the process of governing…….with that said…I do NOT see Obama fitting into that category at all.
Democracy is a form of government in which all citizens take part. It is government of the people, by the people, and for the people.
Socialism is where we all put our resources together and work for the common good of us all and not just for our own benefit. In this sense, we are sharing the wealth within society.
Of course when people hear that term, “Share the wealth” they start screaming, “OMG you want to rob from the rich and give it all to the poor!” But that is NOT what Democratic Socialism means.
To a Democratic Socialist, sharing the wealth means pooling tax money together to design social programs that benefit ALL citizens of that country, city, state, etc.
And there are many forms of socialism……..but the basic tenets are the same……it is a truer form of democracy than most others……the people are in control….and is that not what we think the Founding Fathers had in mind?
Now ask yourself….do we, as Americans, have a social contract….that is a contract between the governed and governing? (A future post coming to a blog near you)….