Alabama has joined the list of states that will punish sex offenders they will be forced to undergo chemical castration……
Males convicted of a sex offense against a child under the age of 13 in Alabama will be forced to undergo chemical castration in the month before they’re released from custody. Republican Alabama Gov. Kay Ivey on Monday signed into law the bill passed by the state legislature on May 30, which forces offenders to pay out of pocket for chemical castration via oral medication or injection, which interferes with the production of testosterone, unless a court decides an offender is unable to pay, per CNN. The effects—an inability to perform sexual acts and limited sexual interest—are reversed once treatment stops, but it’ll be up to a court to determine when this might happen. Any offenders who stop treatment on their own will be found in violation of parole and returned to custody.
“This bill is a step toward protecting children in Alabama,” Ivey said, per CNN. Randall Marshall of the ALCU of Alabama instead believes the law may be a form of cruel and unusual punishment. “It’s not clear that this actually has any effect and whether it’s even medically proven,” and “when the state starts experimenting on people, I think it runs afoul of the Constitution,” he tells AL.com. The bill’s author, GOP Rep. Steve Hurst, who initially called for surgical castration, counters that many victims of sexual abuse support the law, which follows similar ones on the books in seven states and Guam, per NBC News. GOP Sen. Cam Ward adds it will likely apply only to a small group of offenders as most people convicted in such cases are not considered for parole.
I am sorry but this does not “protect children” as promised by the governor…..in my opinion.
The urges are still there and though he may not have the “junk” to carry out his urges he will find other means of satisfying those urges…..use objects like bottles to “get off”.
I do not have the answers to this problem….but I just do not believe this will not solve the problem no matter the promises.
The media wants Biden/Trump mash up for the 2020 election……the MSM has tried to make this the “dream ticket”….and Iowa gave the MSM the a chance to push the ticket…..both men are just pathetic for playing into the hands of the media…..
If you were a visitor to the US and watched this news then you would think that the 2020 election was under way and these were the candidates for the general.
The MSM has a chance to make Biden the best person to take on Trump……seems to be a marketing plan by the media……
President Trump and 2020 presidential contender Joe Biden gave dueling speeches in Iowa Tuesday—their first time this election cycle campaigning in the same state on the same day, USA Todayreports. Big lines from each, starting with Biden, who had three campaign stops in the state. From CNN and others:
- “[Trump] says, ‘let’s make America great again.’ Let’s make America America again,” he said—which, Fox points out, is a phrase apparently first coined by Stormy Daniels’ lawyer, Michael Avenatti. (No worries: Avenatti has used the line to endorse Biden, and tweeted Tuesday, “Since I won’t be using it, I’m happy @JoeBiden is using ‘Let’s Make America America Again.'”)
- Biden also called Trump an “existential threat” to America: “Four years of Donald Trump will be viewed as an aberration in American history. Eight years, eight years will fundamentally change who we are as a nation, how we’re viewed around the world.”
- Biden, who lost son Beau to brain cancer in 2015, said “I promise you if I’m elected president, you’re going to see the single most important thing that changes America, we’re gonna cure cancer.”
- He also had to speak through a protester at one event, while attendees clapped and chanted to drown him out. The protester yelled, “You have blood on your hands, you have blood on your hands… no he is talking about the Ku Klux Klan… he supports the murder of unborn babies and he wants us to pay for it.”
- Biden has another speech still to come Tuesday night; see his prepared remarks here. Among them: “Trump thinks his tariffs are being paid by China. Any beginning econ student at Iowa or Iowa State could tell you that the American people are paying his tariffs. The cashiers at Target see what’s going on—they know more about economics than Trump.”
And from Trump:
- The POTUS had his own harsh words for Biden while speaking at a renewable energy event, referring to him as “Sleepy Joe” and accusing him of talking too much about Trump: “He said my name so many times that people couldn’t stand it anymore.”
- He had also slammed Biden as he left for Iowa, calling him a “loser” and a “dummy” who is “weak mentally,” per Fox News.
- Trump signed an executive order while in the state to, as he said, “speed up reviews of [agricultural] biotechnology so that farmers can get access to critical scientific advances faster and reap the full benefits of American innovation for many years into the future.”
- Still to come Tuesday night for Trump: an “America First Dinner,” for which tickets started at $250, to raise money for the Iowa Republican Party.
This is making sure that other Dem candidates are left out of the equation…..there was nothing about this situation that warranted a whole day of media attention.
Let me inform my reader of what this report was really about…….This was nothing more than a couple of old farts having a slap fight.
There are more important news that needed the exposure by was lost in the push for Biden…..like Congressional inaction of the 9/11 First Responders.
Or maybe spend a little more time reporting that the US Women’s soccer team broke all records yesterday….they scored 13 goals.
Corey Booker is out as a candidate for me…..I did not like him when he was in New Jersey for he seem to have a camera following him around to record his “good deeds”.
Then he went to the Senate as a stepping stone to run for president and I did not like him even more…he is a centrist Dem….. a conserv Dem…..a Blue Dog…and now news has come out that just definitely puts him out of the running…… in my case that is……
In a Huffington Post interview published on June 5, U.S. Senator and Democratic presidential candidate Cory Booker announced that he now supports a federal anti-BDS bill, which would allow states to punish contractors for boycotting Israel. Booker voted against similar legislation earlier this year.
In February, the Senate voted on the Strengthening America’s Security in the Middle East Act (S.1), a piece of legislation that was introduced by Senators Marco Rubio (R-FL) James Risch (R-ID) Cory Gardner (R-CO) and Mitch McConnell (R-KY). The final section of the bill is called The Combating BDS Act and it would allow local and state governments to “divest from entities that engage in certain Boycott, Divestment, or Sanctions activities targeting Israel or persons doing business in Israel or Israeli-controlled territories.”
The bill passed in the Senate 77-23, but every Democratic presidential candidate in the Senate voted against it. Vermont’s Bernie Sanders, Massachusetts’ Elizabeth Warren, Ohio’s Sherrod Brown, California’s Kamala Harris, and New Jersey’s Cory Booker all released statements to Haaretz making it clear that they’re against boycotts of Israel and opposed the bill for First Amendment reasons. New York’s Kirsten Gillibrand voted against the bill, but never responded to the request for comment. Minnesota’s Amy Klobuchar was the only Senator running for president who voted for the legislation, but she also did not provide an explanation.
This is why he is out for me….he will change his stand to fit the circumstance……he knew what the bill was about if not then he is a shitty Senator…and now he will crap on a 1st amendment to gain donors and votes.
Don’t know about you…..but Not someone I want as president…..I have eliminated 2 candidates from my consideration…Biden and Booker….more to come I am sure.
We hear a lot these days about the US Troops in Afghanistan…..just what will it take for the war to be declared a success and the troops brought home.
One thought is that as soon as we can get the Afghan troops into a place where they can take control then ours can come home. Yet another is that the talks with the Taleban could bring about a cessation of hostilities and the troops can come home…..and yet another says we are there for the foreseeable future with NO chance of our troops coming home.
And then there is one more aspect that is usually missing from these calculations…..ISIS remember them?
ISIS has lost its caliphate in Syria and Iraq, but in the forbidding mountains of northeastern Afghanistan, the group is expanding its footprint, recruiting new fighters, and plotting attacks on the United States and other Western countries, according to US and Afghan security officials. Nearly two decades after the US-led invasion, the extremist group is seen as an even greater threat than the Taliban because of its increasingly sophisticated military capabilities and its strategy of targeting civilians, both in Afghanistan and abroad, the AP reports. Concerns run so deep that many have come to see the Taliban, which has also clashed with ISIS, as a potential partner in containing it. A US intelligence official based in Afghanistan says a recent wave of attacks in the capital, Kabul, is “practice runs” for even bigger attacks in Europe and the US.
“This group is the most near-term threat to our homelands from Afghanistan,” the official tells the AP, speaking on condition of anonymity to preserve his operational security. Their “core mandate is: You will conduct external attacks” in the US and Europe. “That is their goal. It’s just a matter of time,” he says. “It is very scary.” He says ISIS fighters captured in Afghanistan have been found to be in contact with fellow militants in other countries. Authorities have already made at least eight arrests in the United States linked to the IS affiliate in Afghanistan. “One of the hopes of a negotiated settlement is that it will bring the Taliban into the government and into the fight” against ISIS, the official says. “They know the mountains, they know the terrain. It’s their territory.”
Let’s face reality…..US Troops are there for the long run …..the troops may never come home in my lifetime…there will always be an excuse for them to stay in country.
At least the Russian had the good sense tp get out when they could….but our MIC is just too powerful to allow the troops to leave……the profits would cease and we cannot have that no matter how many lives it costs.