Last night the president trotted his butt out and addressed a joint session of Congress to give his State of the Union speech…..here is my take for those that had rather watch paint dry.
Ukraine was front and center of this speech…..
Here is a short list of the proverbial promises…..
President Biden began his first State of the Union address Tuesday night with a focus on Ukraine, and he got a bipartisan standing ovation with his condemnation of Vladimir Putin’s invasion. That big line early: “Freedom will always triumph over tyranny,” he said, per CNN. Members of both parties were holding Ukrainian flags.
- Putin: “Six days ago, Russia’s Vladimir Putin sought to shake the foundations of the free world thinking he could make it bend to his menacing ways,” Biden said. “But he badly miscalculated.”
- US airspace: Biden also delivered a tangible piece of news, announcing that Russian airlines are banned from flying in US airspace. The US follows Canada, Britain, and the European Union in making the move. The main effect is that the Russian airline Aeroflot can no longer travel to or from the US, or even travel over the country en route to somewhere else, reports the New York Times. The Washington Post notes the ban also is expected to affect Volga-Dnepr Airlines, a Russian cargo carrier used by Boeing to move aircraft parts in the US.
- Inflation: Biden pledged to get inflation under control. “We have a choice,” Biden said, per the AP. “One way to fight inflation is to drive down wages and make Americans poorer. I have a better plan to fight inflation. Lower your costs, not your wages.” Among other things, he urged investment in US manufacturing so the US would be less dependent on foreign supply chains. “Economists call it ‘increasing the productive capacity of our economy,'” said Biden. “I call it building a better America.”
- Tax reform: “I may be wrong, but my guess is if we took a secret ballot on this floor, that we would all agree that the present tax system ain’t fair,” said Biden. He called for reform, adding that his policies would not raise taxes on those who make less than $400,000 a year. “I’m not looking to punish anybody. But let’s make corporations and wealthy Americans start paying their fair share.”
- More on Ukraine: “Putin may circle Kyiv with tanks, but he will never gain the hearts and souls of the Ukrainian people,” Biden said. “He will never extinguish their love of freedom. He will never weaken the resolve of the free world.” He said Russia would emerge from all this a weaker nation.
All in all a pretty standard and boring speech.
Now aren’t you glad you had better things to do than watch this worthless waste of time?
I Read, I Write, You Know
“lego ergo scribo”