Throw Red Meat And They Will Come!
The Congressional investigations do not seem to be going well for the Pres. and his cronies……almost nightly something new and possibly more damaging is released in one form of another…. so how do you change the the conversation?
Over the weekend Trump did what he must……
Throw some red meat to the devout.
President Trump says NFL owners should fire players who kneel during the national anthem. And he’s encouraging spectators to walk out in protest. In an extended riff during a freewheeling rally speech in Alabama Friday night, Trump also bemoaned that football games have become less aggressive, the AP reports. “They’re ruining the game,” he complained. Several athletes, including a handful of NFL players, have refused to stand during “The Star-Spangled Banner” to protest of the treatment of blacks by police. Trump says those players are disrespecting the flag and deserve to lose their jobs. “That’s a total disrespect of our heritage. That’s a total disrespect of everything that we stand for,” he said, encouraging owners to act.
“Wouldn’t you love to see one of these NFL owners, when somebody disrespects our flag, you’d say, ‘Get that son of a bitch off the field right now. Out! He’s fired,” Trump said to loud applause. Trump also predicted that any owner who went through with his encouragement would become “the most popular person in this country”—at least for a week. Trump, who was in Alabama campaigning for Sen. Luther Strange, also blamed a decline in NFL ratings on the nation’s interest in “yours truly” as well as what he described as a decline in violence in the game. He said players are being thrown out for aggressive tackles, and it’s “not the same game.” But Trump said the anthem protest was the top reason NFL viewership had waned.
Of course all eyes turn to the NFL and the Sunday games……
Even Carl Rove sees this situation as a losing fight for the president…….
Figures from the worlds of politics and sports took to the Sunday talk shows to weigh in on President Trump’s call for NFL players who protest during the national anthem to be fired.
- Steve Mnuchin told ABC’s This Week that NFL owners should create a rule forcing players to stand for the anthem and that athletes “can do free speech on their own time,” Politico reports. The Treasury secretary said the issue isn’t race or free speech but “respect for the military and first responders.”
- “I wish that some of these players that get on one knee to protest this country and all the sacrifices that make it great would get on both knees and thank God that they live in the United States of America,” Mediaite quotes Mike Huckabee as saying on Fox News’ Sunday Morning Futures. The former Arkansas governor said liberals only defend athletes attacking the country, not those praying for it.
- Karl Rove told Fox News Sunday that Trump should have picked a better battle or at least a better tactic, Mediaite reports. “He could have come away the winner,” the former White House adviser said. “Instead, he is walking away from this a loser in the minds of the American people.” A better move would have been to be an “aspirational figure” reminding people what’s good about the country, Rove said.
- Rex Ryan, who introduced Trump during a rally last year, said on Sunday NFL Countdown that the president’s comments are “appalling.” “Lemme tell you: I’m pissed off. I’ll be honest with you. Because I supported Donald Trump,” CBS Sports quotes the former NFL coach as saying. Ryan said he’s proud of the players he’s known and they aren’t “SOBs.”
- “I’m not sure if our president understands those rights, that every American has the right to speak out and also to protest,” Sports Illustrated quotes Terry Bradshaw as saying on Fox NFL Sunday.
This accomplished what Trump intended….a diversion for awhile…..
Trump as usual cannot kind in mind that he is the president of all of the US not just his piddly 33%