Syria is a bloody mess……Iraq likewise…Afghanistan is waiting….Balkans are verbally hot…..South China Sea is boiling……you get it! The world is far from a peaceful place and yet the man that is the most powerful person in the world spends his time bullying women on Twitter…..
Not the first time that trump has attacked a woman for a slight that he has perceived….just the most recent…..
President Trump has been going after media outlets with a renewed vengeance this week, but things got decidedly personal Thursday morning when he took aim at Mika Brzezinski of MSNBC’s Morning Joe program. “I heard poorly rated @Morning_Joe speaks badly of me (don’t watch anymore),” he began in a two–tweet attack. “Then how come low I.Q. Crazy Mika, along with Psycho Joe, came to Mar-a-Lago 3 nights in a row around New Year’s Eve, and insisted on joining me. She was bleeding badly from a face-lift. I said no!” (“Psycho Joe” is a reference to Joe Scarborough.) Within a half-hour of Trump’s tweets, Brzezinski fired back with a tweeted photo mocking Trump in sync with the small-hands theme.
It’s not clear what set off the president, but earlier on her show, Brzezinski slammed his behavior. “Let’s say someone came into NBC and took over NBC, and started tweeting wildly about people’s appearances, bullying people … that person would be thrown out,” she said, per Raw Story. She added that “there would be concerns that the person who runs the company is out of his mind.” Before the president tweeted, Trump social media director Dan Scavino also unloaded on “DumbAsARockMika” and Scarborough, saying they were “unhinged” since Trump stopped returning their calls.
What type of person would do this? Not someone that is the president of the USA, right?
…….the White House didn’t relent: “I don’t think that the president’s ever been someone who gets attacked and doesn’t push back,” said deputy press chief Sarah Huckabee Sanders on Fox News. She said Trump has been the target of an “outrageous number of personal attacks,” and he’s responding in kind, per Mediaite. “This is a president who fights fire with fire and certainly will not be allowed to be bullied by liberal media and the liberal elites within the media or Hollywood or anywhere else.” Elsewhere:
- Criticism from GOP: “I don’t see that as an appropriate comment,” said Paul Ryan, per Politico. “This is not okay,” tweeted Rep. Lynn Jenkins of Kansas. “Beneath the office,” wrote Sen. Lindsey Graham, a line echoed by Sen. Ben Sasse.
- Why the trolling? The right-wing site Twitchy notes that when Republicans such as Sasse call out Trump, they get trolled, instead of supported, from the left. It has examples.
- First lady defends: A spokeswoman for Melania Trump defended the president. “When her husband gets attacked, he will punch back 10 times harder,” she said, per CNN’s Jeff Zeleny. People can’t resist pointing out that Melania once vowed to fight social media bullying.
- Background: The Washington Post traces the long, up-and-down relationship between the Morning Joe hosts and Trump. It used to be quite cozy.
- From Democrats: “Monstrous,” tweeted Sen. Chris Murphy. “An attack on women everywhere,” says the Democratic National Committee, per the Hill.
- Breitbart: Its coverage says Brzezinski and Joe Scarborough had “sneered mockingly” at Trump prior to the presidential tweet. (Brzezinski had suggested he was “out of his mind,” per Raw Story.)
- Network: “It’s a sad day for America when the president spends his time bullying, lying and spewing petty personal attacks instead of doing his job,” says an MSNBC statement. Mark Kornblau, a communications VP for NBC Universal, wrote: “Never imagined a day when I would think to myself, ‘it is beneath my dignity to respond to the President of the United States.'”Hannity: Fox News host Sean Hannity, one of Trump’s strongest supporters, didn’t retreat: “Maybe liberal Joe should stop calling the @POTUS a schmuck, a liar, a thug and mentally unhinged. Were they kissing @POTUS ass at xmas? Yes.”