Country and its people use to come first with politicians….that has slipped from the collective memory of the voter….now we vote along lines….partisan crap and the country takes backseat to party politics…..
Our strength use to be political debate without the insulting and division…an op-ed says it better than I could……
For many decades the US had a substantive debate on policy…now it is just plain silly….both parties were part of the discussion……now it is just sniping at each other from the TV cameras.
Back in 1944 FDR, a Dem, offered up an Economic Bill of Rights……
Among these are:
- The right to a useful and remunerative job in the industries or shops or farms or mines of the nation;
- The right to earn enough to provide adequate food and clothing and recreation;
- The right of every farmer to raise and sell his products at a return which will give him and his family a decent living;
- The right of every businessman, large and small, to trade in an atmosphere of freedom from unfair competition and domination by monopolies at home or abroad;
- The right of every family to a decent home;
- The right to adequate medical care and the opportunity to achieve and enjoy good health;
- The right to adequate protection from the economic fears of old age, sickness, accident, and unemployment;
- The right to a good education.
Keep in mind that was in 1944……then 12 years later the GOP platform had a familiar ring to it……and the candidate won the presidency…..IKE.