This post will probably get me on so many sh*t lists…..for I am not writing a glowing post on the darling of the American airways or the Congress….. As a trained analyst I was taught to leave emotions at the curb…..look beyond the emotional news of the day and try to get to the real reason for the situation that I am analyzing.
There is more to Zelensky than the orchestrated persona that the PR firms give the adoring public….and why has no outlet tried to explain the man and his policies?
What made me think about writing this post was when I saw conflict footage presented by the Azov Battalion on CNN…..
The Azov Battalion is a far Right (neo-nazi) militia unit in Ukraine…..
For me it is troubling some of the rhetoric that is being used and allowed on the evening news…..Many use xenophobic and racist language, and some are explicit in their praise of prominent Ukrainian Neo-Nazis, including C14 leader Yevhen Karas, the Right Sector fascist paramilitary, and the Neo-Nazi Azov Battalion. Multiple images call for “Banderite smoothies” – a reference to Molotov cocktails named for the late OUN-B commander Stephan Bandera, who collaborated with Nazi Germany in the mass murder of Jews and ethnic Poles during World War II.
Today Americans are in love with the president of Ukraine, Zelensky…..I will admit he is a good showman…..his speeches are meant to shame the West….his interviews are meant to shame the West…..everything he did was try to shame everyone he addresses…..this is PR, some say propaganda, at its best.
But with all this bubbling admiration from the American people what do we really know about the man other than he is a TV comedian and president of a beleaguered nation?
In 2019, Volodymyr Zelensky, a novice politician and former television comedian, rose to the Ukrainian presidency on the strength of a peace platform. But once in power, the peace candidate turned into a hardline president, refusing to implement the Minsk peace deal; refusing to rethink the wisdom of joining NATO; refusing to question the wisdom of hosting a US military base in Yaroviv or of sending Ukrainian paramilitaries to the US for training.
What explains the change? Informed speculation suggests Zelensky was captured by the ultras of the Ukrainian far right: No peace could be made with the breakaway republics of Donetsk and Luhansk if the maximalists fighting in the east of the country refused to stand down and negotiate, as required by the Minsk Protocols that were agreed to by Ukraine, Russia, France and Germany in 2015.
Zelensky’s behavior these past months would seem to confirm that his room to maneuver at home was severely circumscribed by the Ukrainian far right. Worse, he seemed to take Western promises of financial and military support, such those enshrined in the November 2021 US-Ukraine Charter on Strategic Partnership, at face value.
That was his first mistake.
I mentioned the Minsk Peace Deal…but what is that?
Minsk II, signed on 12 February 2015, required the participants to adhere to the following 13 points:
- An immediate and comprehensive ceasefire.
- Withdrawal of all heavy weapons by both sides.
- Monitoring and verification by the OSCE.
- To start a dialogue on interim self-government for the Donetsk and Luhansk regions, in accordance with Ukrainian law, and acknowledge their special status by a resolution of parliament.
- A pardon and amnesty for people involved in the fighting.
- An exchange of hostages and prisoners.
- Provision of humanitarian assistance.
- Resumption of socio-economic ties, including pensions.
- Restore full control of the state border by the government of Ukraine.
- Withdrawal of all foreign armed formations, military equipment and mercenaries.
- Constitutional reform in Ukraine including decentralisation, with specific mention of Donetsk and Luhansk.
- Elections in Donetsk and Luhansk on terms to be agreed with their representatives.
- Intensify the work of a Trilateral Contact Group including representatives of Russia, Ukraine and the OSCE.
This will help people understand the man and the conflict….after listening to all the pundits pump crap into the airways.
Sorry to pee on everyone’s parade…there is more to Zelensky than the optics and theater he presents to the adoring public.
Is Zelensky the new Churchill?
Nope! Not i n my book….Only because he has bought (with who’s cash) an outstanding PR team.
Turn The Page!
I Read, I Write, You Know
“lego ergo scribo”