It is that time when the Supreme Court hands down its judgements again…this is the latest to be handed down….
The Supreme Court handed advocates for gun rights a major victory on Thursday with a ruling expected to make it easier for people to carry concealed handguns:
- Decision: The court struck down a New York law requiring that people who want to carry concealed weapons must show a “proper cause” for doing so, reports the New York Times. The 6-3 decision split along the court’s conservative and liberal lines.
- Majority: The court’s conservative justices declared that New York’s law was so restrictive that it violated the Constitution. “The Second and Fourteenth Amendments protect an individual’s right to carry a handgun for self-defense outside the home,” wrote Clarence Thomas, per the Washington Post. His opinion declared that the state’s law violated that principle.
- Dissent: “Many States have tried to address some of the dangers of gun violence … by passing laws that limit, in various ways, who may purchase, carry, or use firearms of different kinds,” wrote Stephen Breyer. “The Court today severely burdens States’ efforts to do so.”
- Precedent: The ruling will have consequences beyond New York, notes the AP. For example, California, Hawaii, Maryland, Massachusetts, New Jersey, and Rhode Island have “proper cause” laws similar to New York’s, and those will likely be challenged, too. The AP estimates that a quarter of the US population currently lives in states expected to be affected by the ruling.
- Background: New York’s law has been on the books for more than a century, notes the Post. Two men, Robert Nash and Brandon Koch, sued, saying it made it “virtually impossible for the ordinary law-abiding citizen to obtain a license,” per the Times. The court agreed.
Ain’t it grand?
I am sorry but this has nothing to do with personal safety, in my mind, this is just another masculine thing….letting some to feel like a ‘big man’ because that are a tottin’.
There comes a time for sanity but when it comes to the sacred gun sanity leaves the room for paranoia and silliness……since the Court is not positive in the eyes of the population.
With the Supreme Court poised to overturn Roe v. Wade, Americans’ confidence in the country’s top court has fallen to a record law, according to the latest Gallup poll. The pollsters say just 25% of Americans have “quite a lot” or a “great deal” of confidence in the court, down 11 points from a year ago. It’s the lowest number in polling going back to 1973, the year of the Roe v. Wade decision that legalized abortion nationwide, when confidence was at 45%. The previous low was in 2014, when confidence in the court was at 30%. The highest figure over the last 49 years was 56%, recorded in 1985 and 1988.
Gallup says the poll was carried out from June 1 to 20, weeks after the leak of the draft decision on abortion rights. With a conservative supermajority in place, pollsters say only 13% of Democrats have high confidence in the top court, CNN reports. Confidence among independent voters has dived from 40% to 25% year-on-year, according to Gallup, while among Republicans, it has edged up from 37% to 39%. In a poll taken in 2020, before Justice Amy Coney Barrett was confirmed as then-President Donald Trump’s third SCOTUS pick, the figure for Republicans was 53%. Gallup says confidence in the court among Republicans hit a record low of 26% in 2010.
Biden signs ‘landmark’ gun deal…..
- The bill would make the local juvenile records of people age 18 to 20 available during required federal background checks when they attempt to buy guns. Those examinations, currently limited to three days, would last up to a maximum of 10 days to give federal and local officials time to search records.
- People convicted of domestic abuse who are current or former romantic partners of the victim would be prohibited from acquiring firearms, closing the so-called “boyfriend loophole.”
- There would be money to help states enforce red flag laws.
- The measure expands the use of background checks by rewriting the definition of the federally licensed gun dealers required to conduct them. Penalties for gun trafficking are strengthened, billions of dollars are provided for behavioral health clinics and school mental health programs, and there’s money for school safety initiatives, though not for personnel to use a “dangerous weapon.”
The big tagline for this bill is “it will save lives”……tell me where.
Your thoughts will be appreciated.
I Read, I Write, You Know
“lego ergo scribo”
10 thoughts on “SCOTUS Does Guns (Again)”
The Supreme Scrotum’s latest ruling on guns will do nothing but cost thousands more lives by gun violence. But if that is what the gun nuts want then let them have it. Maybe they will kill enough of each other off that sanity can return to our streets one sweet day …that is after the foghead in the oval office gets tired of tempting destruction with his war games.
I love ‘Supreme Scrotum’…well done John.
The problem is they are not killing each other but rather those that are vulnerable. chuq
“Masculine thing” huh? A bit sexist I would say. Plenty of women, an increasing number in fact, have decided to take ownership of their own personal safety. Now, I’m places like NYC, where the ability to do so has been a special privilege bequeathed by the State, and available only to the rich and politically connected. The ‘American way’ right?
Women do not need guns for personal safety. All they need to do is dress a little bit modestly and stop acting so seductively all the time.
Wow. I thought Liberals didn’t go in for sexism? You can’t even chalk this garbage up to victim or slut shaming, since you denigrate an entire gender. Good job!
So, tell me about the women who dress dour and keep to themselves…and still get assaulted or raped?
always takes two to tango. Let the ones who dress dour and keep to themselves avail themselves of their second amendment rights … problem solved. — As for me, I spent 33 miserable years married to a woman who ran around on me and who drove me into bankruptcy … and today … today I barely ever look at women … but I know there are good ones out there and I feel sorry for them when they suffer …but it is an old problem and it is not about to go away very soon if you ask me … I am sorry that many of them feel their rights to murder their unborn children are being taken away from them …but I am more concerned about all the other rights that this asshole decision by the Supreme Scrotum might be affected … This opens a whole can of worms and puts a whole lot of assumed rights into danger of being done away with …It could eventually lead to overturning all kinds of things … affirmative action (For which I would support … I hate affirmative action), voting rights …(already under threat in many states), who you can live with, who you can marry, — womens rights in the workplace … I have decided that we no longer have a Supreme Court … what we now have is a “Trump” court and when he gets elected in 2024 and takes authoritarian control of the entire government …the shit will really hit the fan for all kinds of rights …and democracy will die in America. The country seems to be heading in that direction and they seem to be enjoying the fact that they are heading in that direction so what the hell is someone like me or you going to do about it all? We are not going to do a damned thing about any of it because we are actually nobody at all when it comes down to brass tacks .. Our own oligarchs own this country lock, stock and barrel and sooner or later they are going to own you and I and everbody else as well … so let us get used to the inevitable.
I followed Libertas and Latte .. thanks for commenting. I appreciate it.
It is a masculine thing at least around my neighborhood….chuq
How many people who carry those concealed weapons have ever used them to defend themselves for any reason? I would like to see the statistics on that.
Best wishes, Pete.
Good point…..all that is is a tag line and an excuse to carry guns. chuq