The president has issued his plan to rid our streets or violent crime and gun violence……
President Biden believes that the surge in gun violence that has affected communities across the country over the last year and a half is unacceptable, and his Administration is moving decisively to act with a whole-of-government approach as we enter the summer months when cities typically experience a spike in violence.
Today, the Biden-Harris Administration is announcing a comprehensive strategy to combat gun violence and other violent crime. This strategy implements preventative measures that are proven to reduce violent crime, and attacks the root causes – including by addressing the flow of firearms used to commit crimes.
This plan includes such planks as…..
- Stem the flow of firearms used to commit violence, including by holding rogue firearms dealers accountable for violating federal laws;
- Support local law enforcement with federal tools and resources to help address summer violent crime;
- Invest in evidence-based community violence interventions;
- Expanding summer programming, employment opportunities, and other services and supports for teenagers and young adults; and
- Help formerly incarcerated individuals successfully reenter their communities.
The whole released statement can be read here……https://www.whitehouse.gov/briefing-room/statements-releases/2021/06/23/fact-sheet-biden-harris-administration-announces-comprehensive-strategy-to-prevent-and-respond-to-gun-crime-and-ensure-public-safety/
My thoughts are that this will do little to bring about a calmer street.
The guns are already on the streets……There are more than 393 million civilian-owned firearms in the United States, or enough for every man, woman and child to own one and still have 67 million guns left over.
There is NO way this meager attempt at appearing as doing something will ever end the violence on the street.
This attempt is similar to applying a band-aid to a massive gunshot wound.
This is a PR stunt at best…..and a ‘kick the can down the road’ ploy.
Turn The Page!
I Read, I Write, You Know
“lego ergo scribo”