After the speech of a couple of days ago….the key word of that day was …CRISIS.
I seems that the President has ginned up a new crisis that needs dealing with….the dreaded “caravan” was a dud after the midterms so something new had to be found….it was all this “illegals” flowing across our Southern border.
It is a crisis…..Trump made sure that word was drummed into our brains during his short uninformed speech of Tuesday night…..
But did you know that there are truly some situations that Trump could use the term Crisis and be accurate……
The border is a big deal, and the problems are real, But, as Axios’ Stef Kight writes, often lost in the shutdown madness is whether the crisis is bigger than other vital issues facing the country:
- Since that tweet, 547 people have been shot in Chicago, and 111 people have been killed, according to data from the Chicago Tribune.
- 86 people were killed in the Camp Fire in Paradise, Calif. Trump visited after the fires — but he’s now blaming California for not exercising “proper Forest Management,” and is threatening to cut off emergency aid to the state.
- An average of three men are killed every day in the U.S. by police officers, according to an estimate in the American Journal of Public Health. That would mean about 255 American men had been killed by law enforcement since Oct. 16.
- There’s no real-time data on deaths from the opioid crisis. But with 67,000 drug overdose deaths in the U.S. every year, according to the CDC, it’s likely that roughly 16,000 Americans have died of drug overdoses — including opioids — since October.
- Suicide rates continue to climb despite a healthy economy.
- Seven U.S. military officers were killed in Afghanistan since Oct. 16, including six combat deaths. Trump signaled a strategic shift but never addressed the nation about it.
- In Syria, at least 191 civilians were killed by the U.S.-led coalition between Sept. 10 and Nov. 17, according to the Syrian Observatory for Human Rights.
There are truly many situations in this country that could be called a crisis….but the bullshit on the border is NO crisis…..a manufactured crisis with NO validity.
Plus if this is so damn important why didn’t it come up when he had a huge majority with White House and both Houses of Congress…it would have been a breeze to get something then…..but it just was not that big of a deal then….as it should be now.