While you were shoveling snow or worrying about which group of overpaid athletes would win the prestigious game……the conflict in Ukraine keeps getting worse and worse…..but yet Americans shrug it off.
The US is going to station a “Rapid Response Force” somewhere in Eastern Europe….that is what we were told back in late Autumn but that plan has changed……..
The strengthened rapid response force was set to include a “spearhead” force of 5,000 troops able to deploy anywhere within a few days, which was announced at a previous NATO conference last September and for which details were expected to be agreed on Thursday.
Other measures included setting up six regional command and control centers in eastern European nations, namely Estonia, Latvia, Lithuania, Poland, Romania and Bulgaria, to ensure the new forces could be mobilized quickly.
A multinational headquarters for the alliance in Szczecin, Poland, would also be expanded. The military boost was also motivated by threats from extreme Islamist militants in the Middle East and North Africa.
The US is now considering arming the Ukrainian forces with heavy weapons and even a missile system or two…..an escalation.
The problem is with our rush to arm up the Ukrainians ….it could lead to further escalation of hostilities…..if that occurs who will be left holding the bag? Not France. Not Germany. Not the UK. America will have crap on its face…..yet again.
So is it a prudent move to get so deeply involved in Ukrainian conflict?
The media and the admin will most likely use the deaths of civilians as a justification for further involvement. That is a convenient stat to use……there are civilians dying all over the world and we do not involve ourselves in those….so why Ukraine?
The local escalation has been on the move……..Both the Ukrainian and self-proclaimed rebel governments have called for mobilization to beef up their fighting forces.
Earlier this week, rebel chief Alexander Zakharchenko said he wants to increase his military to around 100,000 soldiers. But it’s not a given that he can raise that many people, especially considering hundreds of thousands of civilians have fled the Donetsk and Luhansk regions, where fighting is taking place. It is unknown exactly how many fighters the separatists currently have, though a leader claimed last summer — when things got really bad — the number was around 20,000.
Even if the plan to mobilize is unrealistic, Zakharchenko’s call for more troops suggests separatist resolve is still strong.
Meanwhile, Ukrainian officials are hoping to bolster their own 200,000-man army with three waves of conscription this year. Authorities say nearly 50,000 draftees have already passed medical exams and are on their way into the military as part of the first wave, which started last month.
The last question is…….what if Putin does not back down………what then?
Is NATO willing to do what is necessary? Or is all this posturing so much chest thumping?