First, today is Patriot Day a remembrance of the 9/11 attacks…take a minute out of your day to remember those who lost their lives on that day.
Today on IST is going to be a day where I will post and press numerous articles about the decision for the US to return to a war footing…..the neocons should be jerking off in the corner….at last the country is listening to their constant war drumming…..there will be lots in the media today…lots of whys and whens and what ifs…..just tune in here and avoid all the research…….
Before the Prez could give his speech the morons in Congress were out posturing….doing what they do best…NOTHING but talk!
First, the narrative for the last couple weeks has worked…….the MSM and the war hawks have been seasoning the American public to accept a return to war…….
Some six in 10 Americans say they would support a strike against ISIS, as President Obama appears to be moving toward such a hit. The figure comes from an NBC News/Wall Street Journal poll that also finds Americans feeling unsafe: Some 47% of the country now feels the US is less secure than it was before the 9/11 attacks. Just a year after those attacks, NBC notes, only 20% shared that feeling; last year, it was 28%. One news item fueling the fear: US journalists’ beheadings, which 94% of Americans are aware of. That’s the highest level of awareness of any story in the past five years, according to the poll.
A day before the anniversary of the 9/11 attacks, Obama is preparing for a tough speech. Tonight in prime time, he’ll discuss the US plan against the group, an initiative that will start small and expand; eventual airstrikes in Syria are possible, Politico reports, while the AP notes that major troop action on the ground is unlikely. Meanwhile, a generation has come of age as the post-9/11 conflict has continued, the AP notes. In an earlier vision of the future, Iraq was supposed to be fending for itself by this point, with US troops largely leaving Afghanistan combat behind; instead, we’re preparing for further action in the region. “The Cold War took 45 years,” says a former George W. Bush adviser. “It’s harder to see how this ends.”
Now as promised….the Prez went on TV in prime time to explain what the US is about to do……I promised an analysis……
President Obama tonight laid out the US strategy to “degrade” and “destroy” ISIS in a prime-time address, and he made clear that he’s ready to expand US airstrikes from Iraq into Syria. The president says a US-led coalition will go after militants from the Islamic State “wherever they exist,” adding that he “won’t hesitate” to order strikes in Syria if necessary. Here are excerpts, in which he refers to the group by the alternate name of ISIL, via CNN and the Washington Post:
- “So tonight, with a new Iraqi government in place, and following consultations with allies abroad and Congress at home, I can announce that America will lead a broad coalition to roll back this terrorist threat. Our objective is clear: we will degrade, and ultimately destroy, ISIL through a comprehensive and sustained counter-terrorism strategy.”
- “If you threaten America, you will find no safe haven.”
- ISIS “is not Islamic. … It is a terrorist organization pure and simple.”
- The US is meeting the threats posed by the group “with strength and resolve.”
- “I want the American people to understand how this effort will be different from the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan. It will not involve American combat troops fighting on foreign soil. This counter-terrorism campaign will be waged through a steady, relentless effort to take out ISIL wherever they exist using our air power and our support for partner forces on the ground. This strategy of taking out terrorists who threaten us, while supporting partners on the front lines, is one that we have successfully pursued in Yemen and Somalia for years.”
- He said 475 more US service members will go to Iraq, but “they will not have a combat mission.” (He also noted that John Kerry is already in the country to work with the new government on the anti-ISIS coalition.)
Based on recent polls, the president won’t have a hard sell in convincing Americans that military action against ISIS is necessary.
Are you happy? Now that it is official there are a few points I would like to throw in…….1) “ultimately destroy”….you cannot do that from the air. Ground troops will be necessary. 2) “No safe haven”–stating the obvious–every bad guy knows that already, drones have hit it home. 3) “with strength and resolve”–now that is conveniently vague…what does it mean? 4) Here’s a thought do not use Somalia or Yemen, both are bloody messes with NO end in sight. Guess what? The ISIS thing is end in sight. 5) “no combat mission”–you do realize that if they carry weapons the mission is combat related, right? 6) He also mentioned “America’s core interests”–what are those exactly?
What I did not hear was….1) who will be that force on the ground? 2) what to do about the countries that are financing ISIS? 3) Just how we will convince the by standers in the Middle East to get involved? Those questions would go a long way to pointing the way forward in Iraq.and shine a light on how we will get ourselves out as soon as possible. But wait! There is more. 4) Why now? There has been a humanitarian crisis going on for at least a couple of years so…..why now? 5) Tell the American people why ISIS is a pressing threat to the homeland? 6) How to make the Iraqi army more dependable–right now it is as worthless as tits on a boar.
Congrats America….you have a new war to cheer then bitch about……The Prez has done exactly what I thought he would do…..sugar coated the information to make returning to Iraq more palatable to the American people…..he threw in every talking point that had been reported in the media….GOD! I love propaganda!
All in all a nice little speech….seeking support for something that will be done without it……made me feel warm and fuzzy.
Note: Watch the media!
I smell another Middle East folly in the making. Or is it the whiff of oil I smell?
McCain offered his analysis and he is still an old worthless wind bag who will do whatever it takes to get more American soldiers killed….typical posturing from an old jet jockey……..(sorry off topic)
Happy Patriot Day!
Now I return you to the only story you truly care about…….the NFL story! Or is it a Tyler Perry sit-com?