By now everyone that has a political blog has written something about the new trade agreement the Us has decided to get in on……the TPP.
Personally, I think it will be more disastrous than the boondoggle of Clinton…..NAFTA……
Most everyone has bitched about the agreement but how many have bothered to see what they are bitching about?
In case you are one of those people….let me help……
The United States, Canada, Japan, Australia, and eight more Pacific Rim countries on Monday came to an agreement on a free-trade pact that would kill upward of 18,000 tariffs currently in place on US exports ranging from cars to avocados, in a deal the Washington Post hails as the largest “in a generation.” The terms of the Trans-Pacific Partnership were hashed out over nine days in Atlanta, with an intended Sunday announcement falling through amid continuing debate. What you need to know:
- What makes the deal so large? The counties involved (also Brunei, Chile, Malaysia, Mexico, New Zealand, Peru, Singapore, and Vietnam) represent about 40% of the world’s GDP.
- How long has the deal been in the works? Negotiations have occurred over almost eight years, per the New York Times, with the Post terming five of those years as seeing “arduous” debates. President Obama has been pushing the deal as a way to keep China from having an overbearing influence on Pacific trade.
- What were some of the final sticking points? Drugs and dairy. US producers of biologic drugs (that is, those made from living organisms) currently have 12 years to keep their data secret so as to ward off cheaper rivals. Australia was the loudest opponent; the compromise provides between five and eight years of data protection. On the dairy front, America will be able to export more dairy to Canada and Japan; we’ll also import more such products from New Zealand.
- So is it a go? Not yet. Congress now has 90 days to review the agreement, whose full text won’t be available for as long as a month. That puts the up-or-down vote in early 2016 (February at the earliest, per Politico.) The Wall Street Journal reports that support among Democrats is tepid; as for Republicans, it paints their support as “unpredictable” as they eye the 2016 election. Labor unions, environmentalists, and liberal activists see it as a bad deal for American workers and the planet. Candidates ranging from Donald Trump to Bernie Sanders aren’t fans, either.
- What would it mean for Obama? “Legacy-making” and “legacy-defining” are the phrases being trotted out by the media, with the Times summing it up as a potential “capstone for his foreign policy ‘pivot’ toward closer relations with fast-growing eastern Asia, after years of American preoccupation with the Middle East and North Africa.”
There are the basics of the agreement….and I could stop there and hope that everyone would care enough to check the deal out…..but we all know that I am not that kind of writer…….there is so much more that needs to be said about the agreement….it might as well be me that sez it!
The agreement remains secret for now, but here is what we know and what to expect.
Source: What You Should Know About That Completed TPP “Trade” Deal
This deal will be a horrible deal for the American worker….just like NAFTA…..we all need to speak up and demand ALL the information….if it is so good for Americans why is it still a secret?
That one question says it all.
Turn The Page!
This week has been a plethora of political posturing and lying……world leaders get to speak to the General Assembly of the United Nations…..everybody gets a turn….it is kinda a big deal for foreign policy geeks like myself……it is so amusing as well as frustrating…..but mostly it is entertainment at its best.
BiBi went before the General Assembly of the UN and made one of his BS speeches……like most of them filled with horse manure and outright lies……
My fave BS line is the one he uses and our trained monkeys of AIPAC, the GOP, used the one term that I hate more than anything……
“Israel the only democracy in the Middle East”……..that my friends is a……..LIE!
Here is a breakdown of BiBi’s UN speech……….point by point……
Source: Fact Check: Netanyahu’s 2015 UNGA Address | IMEU
Last week the blog-osphere went batcrap crazy because of a AP report that Iran would be doing self-inspections of the nuke facilities…..bloggers lost their minds and accused everyone from Obama to a 2nd grade school teacher for this outrage.
I posted that it was a lie…..few believed what I wrote and even fewer would check out the sources that I gave them on the Iranian deal so they could read the deal for themselves…..
Although that report was a flash in the pan and the media and bloggers have moved on….simply because they could not get more hate or use of the story…….
But I am still trying to get people to read the information out there…..I am afraid that lies are believed we will once again be invading a country that does not need to be done so…..
Am I alone? Or do Americans truly want to be the next “imperialistic” power?
How the AP Got the Iran Inspections Story Wrong.
We Americans have heard all the horror stories about the lies that lead to the 2003 invasion of Iraq…….all the back door moves and all the misinformation….
The Bushites went to the Hill and made the case that No one could resist for the overthrow of Saddam…..of course there was the infamous WMDs…..that did not exist……then there was the ‘mushroom’ cloud analogy that Repubs are always pushing……all in all a beautiful package of lies……and off the country went to….do or die. And 14 years later we are still paying for the lies.
But was there more to the invasion than we have been told? Did AIPAC and Israel have any hand in the decision to invade?
Just a little FYI……………
AIPAC’s 2001-2004 ‘Briefing Book’ Made Case for Regime Change In Iraq « LobeLog.
Now that the full court press is on….Israel has pulled out NO stops to beat back the deal…….their paid politicians are working overtime to please their masters……
The problem I have is that some of the stuff I hear is just garbage………the same garbage that I have been hearing for at least a decade…….
There are lies and then there are goddamn LIES….and Israel is a master of the later……
Outrageous Lies About Iran To Derail the Nuclear Agreement « Antiwar.com Blog.
When I saw the title of this piece my first thought was….REALLY? Could colleges really be that hard up for teachers that they must turn to these dicks?
My have times have changed! When I was at university we were taught the pursuit of truth was the only calling……
Now we have a group teaching our young about the lies that was the 2003 invasion of Iraq……maybe it will illustrate how NOT to start a war…..we can only hope that students will see through their blatant attempts to re-write history and the lies they told to get Americans killed.
I wish I was younger…..I would be their worst nightmare in class…….pathetic what they are offering as TRUTH!
Former Bush officials teaching course on Iraq War ‘decision-making’ | TheHill.
You read it right! I am pressing something from a conservative magazine.
We were scared into supporting a war in 2003 that did NOT need to be fought. That game is being played again…….the media is doing all it possibly can to scare the American people into yet another ill fated war in Iraq.
The last line of the piece says it all……… “All Americans should be aware and suspicious of again being panicked into supporting more wars”
Good advice that we ALL should heed!.
The New Lie About Iraq | The American Conservative.