From time to time we hear about a politician quoting the Constitution or the Bible and quoting it badly….either they have no idea what either document says or they just make shit up with the hopes that people will not notice…..I have written about numerous violations in the past but the one that I will focus today is the hearings being held by Issa and the IRS…..when the woman from the IRS, Lerner, took the 5th it made a stink….especially from a Congressman from the Tea Party….one Trey Gowdy from South Carolina…it seems Mr. Gowdy took exception to the use of the 5th and said……
“She just testified! She just waived her Fifth amendment right to privilege. You don’t get to tell your side of the story and not be subjected to cross examination!”
May I remind Gowdy what the 5th amendment says……
No person shall be held to answer for a capital, or otherwise infamous crime, unless on a presentment or indictment of a Grand Jury, except in cases arising in the land or naval forces, or in the Militia, when in actual service in time of War or public danger; nor shall any person be subject for the same offence to be twice put in jeopardy of life or limb; nor shall be compelled in any criminal case to be a witness against himself, nor be deprived of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor shall private property be taken for public use, without just compensation.
in case that is a bit confusing for Gowdy let me dumb it down for him………
The Fifth Amendment’s right against self-incrimination permits an individual to refuse to disclose information that could be used against him or her in a criminal prosecution. The purpose of this right is to inhibit the government from compelling a confession through force, coercion, or deception. The Self-Incrimination Clause applies to any state or federal legal proceeding, whether it is civil, criminal, administrative, or judicial in nature. This privilege is frequently invoked during the trial phase of legal proceedings, where individuals are placed under oath and asked questions on the witness stand.
He, Gowdy, was showboating for the Peanut Gallery……..I would expect a more professional response especially from a group that carries a copy of the US Constitution in their pocket…..oh wait……I see it is a political prop does not mean they or he have ever read it………
These sanctimonious twats are grading on my last nerve…..the same twats that throw the Constitution in everyone’s at every opportunity…..but until the voters come to their senses and realize what a bunch of self-serving SOBs they elect we will have NO good governance…..and it is politicians like Gowdy that are leading the parade of stupid!
NOTE: There will be a copy of this sent to Gowdy’s office via email….and if he would like to dispute my conclusion I will gladly have that conversation…..HIS MOVE!
Repubs have their bones to gnaw on…the problem is they throw fuel on any fire until it starts burning their pants…..this has been their game for years now…….
Continuing the bandwagon of looking for scandals……….There are some things that should be more important than they are in the media…..sensationalism is rampant not accurate reporting….personally, I think we are all dunderheads for falling for the stories the media hands us as news……..I feel there are more important issues that need to be discussed and then handled…….unfortunately these things will hold NO weight in the media….why? They are looking for keywords like Benghazi, IRS and AP….without those terms in the post few will read anything else….sad and a bit pathetic!
Think Progress has an excellent list of issues that should be a priority……
1. Carbon pollution reaches historic highs, threatening human existence. The concentration of climate warming carbon dioxide in the atmosphere “has passed the milestone level of 400 parts per million (ppm),” scientists estimate. “At the beginning of industrialisation the concentration of CO2 was just 280ppm,” said Prof Rajendra Pachauri, chair of the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change. “We must hope that the world crossing this milestone will bring about awareness of the scientific reality of climate change and how human society should deal with the challenge.” The last time the Earth saw carbon dioxide levels that high, humans did not exist. The West Antarctic ice sheet also did not exist, and sea levels were as much as 82 feet higher than they are today. During an earlier period when CO2 levels were this high, temperatures were 5° to 10°F warmer globally.
2. The devastating impact of sequestration on kids, cancer patients and first responders. On Tuesday, the Congressional Budget Office reported that the budget deficit will shrink to its smallest level since before the Great Recession in 2013, and it will continue to decrease through 2015. But despite the smaller deficits, Republicans remain focused on spending reductions — even as the most recent round of cuts has kicked children out of preschool, left cancer patients without needed screenings, undermined public health and fire safety, and gutted programs that help low-income Americans in a variety of ways. Those cuts have also threatened to derail the economic recovery, which has sputtered along despite the headwinds created by a consistent focus on deficit reduction.
3. Massive cuts to food stamps for the most vulnerable Americans. The House Agriculture Committee approved a farm bill late Wednesday night that would cut federal food stamps by $20.5 billion — more steeply than any legislation since the welfare reforms of the 1990s. Earlier this week, the Senate Agriculture Committee also agreed to a $4.1 billion reduction. The program keeps hundreds of thousands of vulnerable Americans out of the deepest pits of poverty, and even as the Great Recession swelled SNAP rolls, the program continued to push its erroneous payments rates to record lows.
4. 1100 workers die in garment factory collapse in Bangladesh and most American retailers plan business as usual. Since a factory collapsed in Bangladesh, killing 1,100 clothing industry workers, American retailers have been hesitant to adopt safety plans that could prevent similar tragedies. Abercrombie & Fitch announced it would sign a safety upgrade plan that has been approved by six major European retailers and one other American company, but many other manufacturers — including Walmart and Gap — are holding out. Although some retailers fear the costs of upgrades, they could pass them on entirely to consumers and only raise prices by 10 cents per garment.
5. 4,000 gun deaths due to gun violence since Newtown. A crowdsourced effort to count every person killed by a gun in the United States since the Newtown tragedy is currently being hosted by Slate. As of this writing, the count is 4,150. The Senate rejected gun safety legislation in April and has not yet set a date for reconsidering the measure.
I realize that Righties will not agree with much on this list….but I feel that the American people see the need for actual talks, negotiations and then solutions……beyond the clowns getting up in front of a camera and call for jail time for nothing or impeachment for little……
Here is an inside tract for the GOP……Obama will survive and he will finish his term…..accept the fact you cannot find a descent candidate and get to work fixing the country…..we need leadership not some babbling buffoons that could not find their asses with both hands and a flashlight.
For a couple of months now we mere mortals have been bombarded with scandals……Benghazi was a scandal……IRS is a scandal…….AP is a scandal……we are over run with scandals……scandals to the Right….scandals to the Left…….
My problem with all this political theatrics is the word scandal……Watergate was a scandal……selling arms to Iran was a scandal…….missing WMDs was a scandal…..Sen. Vitter being found using a high price call girl service and he keeps his job is a scandal…..after all he is a criminal…..you took part in an illegal act….he is a criminal…..Let us not forget one Senator Ensign who used is position of power to get laid…..and he kept his job!
But if we are looking for “real” scandals…..how about the USS Liberty? I bet you are asking….what the HELL?
Let me refresh you memory……on June 8, 1967 a sigint ship, Liberty, was attacked by Israel in the Mediterranean….34 American sailors were killed…..and the prez, Johnson, pretty much covered it up and silenced the whole matter…..there could have been NO mistaken identity….the American flag was being flown and the sailors waved at the approving jets…..(check back on 08 June I post an interview I had with a sailor from that ship)….
But if you want a more recent event that could be called a scandal then look NO further than our comatose Congress…….we have all heard the days countdown presented by Repubs on how many days has passed without a budget from the Dems……I believe at last count it was somewhere around 1200 days……that may be true but the Repubs have NO right to point and mock……..why?
It has been approximately 900 days since there has been any effort to put Americans back to work by offering up a jobs bill. Now there is a scandal that we should be covering in the media…….
Or how about 37 votes to end a law while ignoring the plight of the country….you wanted scandals!
As long as we elect clowns we should expect a circus…they go hand in hand……