2 December 2013
International Situations, Military
Afghanistan, Drones, Terrorists, US Troops
Speaking of drones…….
Our dynamite drone program has killed many suspected and actual leaders of both the Taleban and AQ…..but in the same tone it has killed many civilians….and that is where we have the problem. With every civilian we killed there is a family member that has the need for revenge……and what is the best and most assessable means of revenge? A terrorist group like the Taleban or AQ……..
The problem is….this program will not stop killing civilians…..some think it is a small pricew to pay to rid the world of terrorist….the rub is it creates more than it eliminates…..as I said….this program will not stop and because of that we have a new incident…..
(AP) – The top US commander in Afghanistan apologized to President Hamid Karzai for a drone strike that killed a child and NATO promised an investigation today as rising tensions threatened efforts to persuade the Afghan leader to sign a long-delayed security agreement. Marine Gen. Joseph Dunford called Karzai late yesterday to express “deep regrets for the incident and any civilian casualties,” the commander’s spokesman said. Karzai condemned the attack, which also wounded two women earlier yesterday, and said all airstrikes and foreign raids on Afghan homes must stop if the United States expects him to sign the pact that would allow thousands of Americans to stay in the country beyond a 2014 withdrawal deadline.
“This attack shows that American forces do not respect the safety of the Afghan people in their homes,” Karzai said in a Dari-language statement on his website. The coalition, known as the International Security Assistance Force, said the airstrike had killed an insurgent on a motorbike in Helmand and also promised to investigate Karzai’s claims that it also killed a child and injured two women. In the phone call, Dunford talked to Karzai directly and “expressed deep regrets for the incident and any civilian casualties assured Karzai that an investigation would be conducted into Thursday’s airstrike, which the Afghan president said was carried out by a drone in southern Helmand province,” Dunford’s spokesman says.
I guess an apology and/or cash is suppose to make things better…..I do not see it as doing so….
I understand the need to the drones…..it keeps many US troops out of harm’s way……which is a good thing….but if we make more bad guys to replace the one bad guy we eliminate….where would this ever end?
I can see both sides of the equation….and like math…the equation has to balance….the problem for me is that I do not see any balance possible.
21 November 2013
Civil Rights, Military, Politics, Society
Rape, US Military, US Troops, Women Issues
We have scandals daily…some of them have been proven to be crap or a total waste of time…but as long as the radio heads can use them they will remain…..Benghazi is a prime example…….NSA spying……I find this one humorous…they have been doing this for decades but NO one knew so we were safe and our privacy was intact…….ACA rollout is NOT a scandal….if anything it is stupidity personified!
I ask again……do you really want a scandal?
There is a scandal if one wants to really have something to scandalize! Unfortunately to the scandal mongers this is NOT important……..typical, huh?
I will wait to see just how serious people are about a real scandal not these pussy whipped turds trying to look relevant……that situation is the sexual attacks on the military and how it is pushed under the rug by command……..NO means NO….in the military or not……
Look at these stats……
50 Facts About Sexual Assault in the US Military
- In 2012, surveyed Active Duty Members of the military anonymously revealed 26,000 instances of unwanted sexual contact. This included coerced and abusive sexual contact, aggravated sexual assault and rape — all prohibited by military law.
- Women make up 15 percent of active-duty forces, but 47 percent of sexual assault victims.
- 13,900 of the victims were men.
- In one study, 37 percent of female veterans report being raped at least twice.
- Additionally, 14 percent of female veterans report experiences of gang rape.
- “Gee whiz, the level — the hormone level created by nature sets in place the possibility for these types of things to occur.” – Sen. Saxby Chambliss, R-Ga. on military sexual assaults at a Senate Armed Services Committee meeting.
- About 75 percent of women who were assaulted did not report their attacks.
- 76 percent of men who were sexually assaulted did not report their attacks.
- The Pentagon estimates that 85 percent of sexual assault crimes go unreported.
- About 40 percent of victims in one study indicated that the perpetrator was their ranking officer.
- One-third of victims indicate that the perpetrator was a ranking officer’s friend.
- 43 percent heard about negative experiences from other victims who had reported and 50 percent thought nothing would be done.
- During the reported period, only 302 service members faced punishment or dismissal as the result of being charged: Less than 2.5 percent of the total suspected number of acts of sexual assaults and rape.
- Fully 20 percent of survivors of sexual assault and Liz Trotta think that rape is “to be expected” in the military.
- “I was repeatedly drugged and raped by several of my superior officers over a nine-month period. …There was no one I could turn to because, like so many victims of sexual assault in the military, my attackers were in my chain of command. So I kept my mouth shut.” – Testimony of Trina McDonald, who was 18 when she was stationed in Alaska and assaulted.
- 62 percent of victims who reported sexual assault experienced retaliation.
- “They gave him the Military Professional of the Year Award during the rape investigation.”
- Military victims of violent assault or rape are 6 times more likely to attempt suicide than service members and veterans who have not experienced sexual assault and rape.
- Estimated number of pregnancies resulting from rape in the military: Unknown
- In the past 25 years, more than 500,000 people have been sexually assaulted in the military.
- 22 years (1981-2013): the duration of the law that denied women in the military insurance coverage for abortions while they served. Jessica Kenyon was allegedly raped while stationed in Korea. She didn’t report the rape because she was “was trying to ‘soldier on’ and didn’t trust [her] chain of command.” She found out she’d been forcibly impregnated when a doctor told her commanding officer, who called her into his office to say she’d be charged with adultery (she was divorced, so was not charged). She could not get an abortion on base and was discharged.
- 79 percent of women serving in the military during the past 40 years report persistent experiences of sexual harassment.
- Feel “like a ho?” Question asked by Andrew Weinstein, the lawyer for one of three U.S. Naval Academy midshipmen accused of sexually assaulting a classmate. During 30 hours of grueling questioning she was also asked, “Were you wearing a bra?” “Were you wearing underwear?” and what her oral sex technique is.
- “The command’s attitude towards rape is why most victims don’t report rapes…The man did not get convicted even though he had raped multiple women in [military] law enforcement.”
- The chances of a female veteran developing PTSD are nine times more likely if she has been sexually assaulted.
- Veterans with PTSD linked to military sexual trauma are significantly more likely to be denied disability compensation, especially male survivors.
- 66: Age of man who still has to sit with his back to a wall after being raped three times, 47 years ago at Lackland Air Force Base.
- 48,100 women and 43,700 men who served in Iraq and Afghanistan, responding to a survey, acknowledged suffering from military sexual trauma.
- Heath X reported that he was gang raped, told he was lying, threatened, bullied, assaulted again and tried to commit suicide all during his first month in the service. He left, became homeless, was incarcerated and was diagnosed as suffering “intense psychological pain.” He was taken to a Naval jail, and then returned to his post where he had to serve with the “gang of molesters” that had attacked him before. He was violently assaulted before and given the day off. He faced court-martial or dishonorable discharge. He was denied benefits because he was dishonorably discharged. He was 18.
- “Take an aspirin and go to bed.” – Response to survivor of assault after being raped by her superior officer.
- 90 percent of survivors of sexual assault in the military are involuntarily discharged.
- 80 percent of perpetrators and those accused are discharged with honor.
- “Rape is part of the job description,” “jokes” a rape survivor when discussing her assaults and the environment in which they took place.
- Female veterans become homeless at a rate 3 to 4 times greater than civilian women, according to a 1996 study.
- 53 percent of a growing number of homeless female veterans have experienced military sexual trauma.
- “You’re probably just a little slut.” – One of many similar responses to Kate Weber’s describing being raped on a fire escape and being then pushed off, falling two stories.
- Studies have found that men and women handle combat stress equally well, but that military sexual trauma — avoidable and overwhelmingly inflicted by fellow soldiers — is the only factor increasing the additional risk of PTSD among women. Military Sexual Trauma is the primary source of PTSD for women, whereas combat experience is the strongest contributing factor of PTSD in men.
- Black female veterans report that they experience more unwanted sexual attention and sexual coercion. Veterans who are white women report higher incidences of sexual and gender-based harassment.
- Enlisted women report higher rates of harassment, coercion and assault than officers do. Because, we all know that rape is about accidents and sex and not entitlement and status and the opportunity they create.
- “If you tell anyone, I’ll tell them you’re a dyke.” – What Michelle Jones’ squad leader told her after he sexually attacked her.
- “Service members must report rape to their commanders. However, if their commanders take action and prove that rape occurred, they also prove a failure of their own leadership.”- Brian Lewis, who was 20 when he was raped while in the Navy.
- Men make up 85.5 percent of the armed forces.
- By the terms of the current military legal code of justice system a general’s decision to overturn a jury verdict is the final word.
- Men in the military academies have a markedly higher propensity to believe in stereotypical gender roles and rape myths which typically include the ideas that survivors are lying and, if telling the truth, to blame.
- Men make up 92.1% of top-ranked military officers.
- “I have never met one person who has reported a sexual assault offense and kept her career.”
- Kori Cioca was serving in the US Coast Guard when she was raped by a commanding officer. He also broke her jaw, leaving her with lifelong pain and serious depression. When she attempted to bring him to justice, she was informed by her commanding officer that she’d be court martial as a liar; the man, who granted that an assault happened, but said it did not include rape was restricted to his base for 30 days without pay for a short time. Maybe a book report would have been more effective.
- “It is hard to be a Military Sexual Trauma spouse — not hard to be with a survivor, but hard because at times I feel so helpless to the trauma.” Kori Cioca’s husband.
- 55: Number of senators who have not said whether they support the Military Justice Improvement Act or not.
- “Sleep it off.”
And there my friends is something that can accurately be labeled a SCANDAL!
Our treatment of the vets is a scandal that NO one wants to talk about….why?
Just once I would like to see a scandal be an actual scandal….not some made up crap that is political advantageous…….
21 November 2013
Civil Rights, Military, Society
US Military, Women History, Women Issues
Today will be ladies day on this site……I do not write enough about women and their accomplishments….for that I apologize and will attempt to do better in the future…….
There are many things women do that we should be proud of….and then there are somethings that need to be written about….this one gets a big Chuq KUDOS!….
Newser) – For the first time, women have passed a military ordeal that would crush most men—the Marine Corps infantry training course. Three women out of 15 to enlist in the program will graduate from the course tomorrow after 59 grueling days of training, including a 12.5-mile hike carrying almost 90 pounds of gear, the Marine Corps Times reports. A fourth woman who finished the course at Camp Geiger in North Carolina will graduate when she heals from an injury and can pass the required combat fitness test.
The women were held to the same fitness standards as men throughout the course. But while the military’s ban on women serving in combat roles was scrapped earlier this year, the women who passed the course will not be assigned to infantry units or given an infantry occupational specialty. Instead, they will be assigned to non-combat roles and their graduation will be noted as part of the Marine Corps’ years of research on opening certain ground combat roles to women.
One small step for the military….one large step for women……now they need to put all the chauvinistic crap to bed…….
31 October 2013
Fiscal Policy, Government, Military
Food Stamps, US Congress, Veterans
First of all, I need to say congrats to the Boston Red Sox for their World Championship!
Remember in days before the Obamacare rollout debacle….you may remember the GOP and their attempt to kill the SNAP program….remember how many poor people it was going to effect….well the poor are NOT the only ones.
Vets will be screwed yet again by the very same douche bags that sent them to be maimed and killed….there is much that I feel needs improving in this country but when I hear these types of reports……..I become more disgusted and ashamed of this country every day!
The government has quickly settled into a normal position……send the troops then ignore them when the return….it work for Vietnam and being replayed today!
This is total bullshit!
Just check out how badly vets will be effected by this lame attempt to defund a much need program……vets deserve better from a country that ask so much of them…….
SNAP Benefit Cuts Will Affect Thousands of Veterans in Every State — Center on Budget and Policy Priorities.
10 September 2013
Foreign policy, International Situations, Military
Armed Response, Pres. Obama, Syria, WMDs
Tonite the Prez will go before the American people and make a case for intervention in the affairs of Syria and somewhere in the prime time speech the words “civilized world” will make an appearance. He will mention the gas attack by Assad on his own people and that the civilized world banned their use about a century ago, right after WW1. He will face the nation and make his case for the use of American assets to send a message to Assad….and we will be watching and listening to whatever excuse he has for the intervention.
But, the civilized world? Let me refresh your memory about the civilized world.
1. The U.S. Military Dumped 20 Million Gallons of Chemicals on Vietnam from 1962 – 1971
During the Vietnam War, the U.S. military sprayed 20 million gallons of chemicals, including the very toxic Agent Orange, on the forests and farmlands of Vietnam and neighboring countries, deliberately destroying food supplies, shattering the jungle ecology, and ravaging the lives of hundreds of thousands of innocent people. Vietnam estimates that as a result of the decade-long chemical attack, 400,000 people were killed or maimed, 500,000 babies have been born with birth defects, and 2 million have suffered from cancer or other illnesses. In 2012, the Red Cross estimated that one million people in Vietnam have disabilities or health problems related to Agent Orange.
2. Israel Attacked Palestinian Civilians with White Phosphorus in 2008 – 2009
White phosphorus is a horrific incendiary chemical weapon that melts human flesh right down to the bone.
In 2009, multiple human rights groups, including Human Rights Watch, Amnesty International, and International Red Cross reported that the Israeli government was attacking civilians in their own country with chemical weapons. An Amnesty International team claimed to find “indisputable evidence of the widespread use of white phosphorus” as a weapon in densely-populated civilian areas. The Israeli military denied the allegations at first, but eventually admitted they were true.
After the string of allegations by these NGOs, the Israeli military even hit a UN headquarters(!) in Gaza with a chemical attack. How do you think all this evidence compares to the case against Syria? Why didn’t Obama try to bomb Israel?
These are just the couple that I thought of on the spot….we could always mention Saddam or deplete uranium, which we still do not have a definitive on the effects of its use and even a case against the A-bomb, but that would be for another day……my point is that the civilized world is just as guilty as Assad in the use of what we call wmds.
Please do not misunderstand….I am not defend Assad and the use of chemicals….I think any use of such assets is a crime…NO matter who use them.
The “civilized world” is not squeaky clean and I think that this is just an excuse to use some military assets….after all…”an unused weapon is a useless weapon”!
Listen for hints to the future…….I will!
6 June 2013
Civil Rights, Military, Observations, Sex, Society
Congressional Hearings, Sexual Abuse, Sexual assault, US Troops, Women Issues
There is a true scandal in DC……NO it is not Benghazi or IRS or AP….it is the sexual assault being batted around in the hearings process in Washington…….I was not going to post much on this situation because there are more qualified spokespeople to handle the rebuttals and such……but like so many other issues I cannot remain silent while shitheads flap their lips…….
As the story is unfolding…..some 6000+ American troops have been sexually assaulted and the military turns a blind eye……HELL! even some of the people that work to control and investigate sexual attacks have been charged with the same offense they were there to investigate…….I wish I could say that I am surprised but that would be a hardy chuckle……the military leaders are masters at covering their asses in time of trouble…….and this is NO different….
But the most incredulous things during the hearings are statements made by our cracker jack clowns that govern……
First let us hear from Georgia’s Saxby Chambliss……
“The young folks who are coming into each of your services are anywhere from 17 to 22 or 23. Gee whiz, the hormone level created by nature sets in place the possibility for these types of things to occur. So we’ve got to be very careful how we address it on our side,” Chambliss told top military officials at a Senate Armed Services Committee hearing. “But guys, we are not doing our job. You’re not doing yours, and we are not doing ours with the rates we are seeing on sexual assaults.”
Next is another Southern asshat…….
During his questioning, however, Sessions brought up his concern that access to pornography on and around military bases was creating “problems” among the soldiers, sailors, and pilots:
SESSIONS: Mr. Chairman, I’d just add a letter, a document here that was given to me from Morality in the Media. Pat Truman used to be in the Department of Justice. I knew him when he was there. He points out that, a picture here of a newsstand and an Air Force base exchange with, you know, sexually explicit magazines being sold. So, we live in a culture that’s awash in sexual activity. If it’s not sold on base, it’s right off base. There are videos and so forth that can be obtained, and it creates some problems, I think.
Typical GOP tactic blame everything but the person doing the crime………
I am sure that these are not the last of bonehead pronouncements made by the GOP……the more they talk…the more they show their ignorance…….and the more they show their ignorance the fewer people will listen……the fewer that will listen will not vote for a party so out of touch………Maybe they should shrink wrap their tent before even more leave it behind………Good news to my ears!