It is election time and we have both parties screaming about cuts and which part of the government needs to be cut and why…..the GOP wants to cut everything but the military, regardless who is screwed by those cuts and the Dems want to cut the military and do not care about the consequences of massive cuts…..the truth of the matter is that we, as a country, will be cutting and cutting deeply…..the only question is who will pay the ultimate price of those cuts?
And now the Speaker of the House has fired the first shot on the national debt thing and promised that it will be another messy year of racing to mics to throw out the talking points….everyone will get their chance at the mic and the one liners and the people slowly suffer and unfortunately they do it in silence…….
But cuts, any cuts, will have consequences as pointed out on the website of Dirty Hippie……
A government budget cut is like a huge tax increase on regular people because it increases what each of us pays for the things government does — or forces us to go without. This is because cuts in government spending don’t actually cut the costor the need for those things, they just shift those costs onto the larger economy. But because these shifts attack the economy-of-scale, transparency, integrity and public-good management that government provides, they almost always increase the costs and harms to the larger economy.
- As government health care is cut (or not provided in the first place) each of us must take on those costs on our own, and as demonstrated, pay up to seven times what the same care would/could have cost.
- As infrastructure maintenance and modernization is cut, our economy becomes less competitive, unemployment increases and our wages and spending power fall.
- As spending on education is cut, our costs of educating ourselves and our kids increase. College costs soar. And the overall education level of our people will decrease, making our country less competitive in the world.
- As environmental regulation and enforcement is cut the costs of the resulting health problems and cleanups increase and our quality-of-life will decrease.
- As enforcement of labor laws is cut, our wages and protections fall.
- As etc. is cut, the costs of etc. are shifted to the larger economy, and the total costs of accomplishing etc. actually increase.
As budgets are cut, the costs are increased and shifted to the larger economy.
After the election we will find out who will pay the price for the decisions made in Congress over the last 40 years ……will it be the people or will it be the sector that has gotten all the benefits in those 40 years? My money is on the people……and the government will not even use Vaseline to make it less painful.